Clear coat on bare aluminum frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of going with a brushed or polished aluminum finish on my frame ...any sugestion on perserving the finish I am using 150 grit and then will go to ?? to get the final look ..may end up polishing ..use to polish stuf in metal shop on a lathe ..is that the same concept.....
IMAG0224.jpg

forget clearing. It wont stick without special primers. Nevr-dull is a great product, last a long time on aluminum. Dont leave the bike out to weather. Keep it inside. Just my 2cents.......

How about using Lemon Pledge? We used to spray motorcycles (lots of cast alum bits on those) with it before lay-up in the fall and cover with a sheet (NOT plastic, it holds humidity in); come spring a quick wipedown and everything looked GREAT. It sorta 'floats' the grunge off and lays down a protective coat.

Was there any indication of the type of tubing before the frame was stripped? 6 series aluminum tubing will be fairly corrosion resistant. polish, Scotch-Brite, wax, etc will be fine. 7 series aluminum tubing will be much less resistant to corrosion and should be painted or powder coated.

Voyager al did say it! Spray dont hold on long, high grade automotive 2k paint is better, but will also fall of in bits over time........Only clear who holds, POWDERPAINT!!

i did an aluminum mountain bike. i sanded it with 80 grit, then cleared over it with rattle can clear. its been over a year and still looks great.

Latest posts

Back