cleaning crome

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am in the middle of my very first restoration and i find myself with a lot of chrome to clean up. Someone told me to rub it with tinfoil and it seems to work ok. I was just wondering if anyone else has some good tricks for cleaning chrome.
IMG_0152.jpg

I've always used an OA bath (Oxalic Acid) also generic drain opener seems to work good too. If the chrome is chipping off nothing will save it though, just have to paint or re-chrome.

x2, what he said, although I used white vinegar on a rusty stem the other day and it worked pretty well (I think the longer it sits in the bath the better it works).

A Brass "tooth brush" from the local hardware store will get most of it off without scratching what ever chrome is left.

A Chrome polish/lubricant helps.

If all else fails...fill in the craters with Bondo,sand and paint

Ok, I know this sounds a bit odd, but I have been having amazing results using nothing but a non-scratch abrasive cleaning pad and soft soap as the lubricant.
You have to rub lightly most of the time, but I have brought several pieces to 'like new' condition. It might not work so well for extremely rusty pieces, but it removes surface rust amazingly well.
Best part about it is, no nasty chemicals.

Check out the post "Dear Rust, I Hate You", it has a link to a BMX forum, and a long post about oxalic acid, how to use it, and result pics! I bought a pound of it on ebay recently, and will be dipping parts shortly, just need some bins to soak in! -Adam

I use bar keepers friend on 0000 steel wool, brass wire brushes, brass brushes for the drill , and the neighborhood kids to remove rust. No home improvement stores around me sell anything with oxcalic acid in it so have to do it the old fashioned way.

if you are "restoring" ,leave the chrome alone
the plating shop will take care of everything.
if you are just refurbishing the bike..any of the
fore mentioned methods work.its a matter of preference.i like the brass brush,then buff method.

NEVR_DUL is the standard, find it at your local hardware store- it is a miracle product
that chrome looks largely gone- I would clean it up, maybe put a coat of wax on, and go.
Stem, post, etc where they contact other metal I would suggest removing the chrome all together.
to remove chrome, which renders a good look too you can try a electrolysis, this works well for all metals, frames, etc- then be ready to flash rust it- or paint.
http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Nevrdull is the bomb for chrome that's not peeling or badly pitted. Steel wool and penetrating lube is the next step, it leaves tiny little scratches, but will take off some serious rust, depending on the quality of the chrome. I'm into using Brillo myself. :mrgreen: I'd say wire brush that thing and hit it with grey primer and chrome paint, or pay someone to strip and chrome it if you want concourse restoration.

Interesting and useful info, a guy at another place I go to about cars used something called evaporust on some of his pieces of car parts which I might use on my stem but I might try those tips first though before spending money on some big jug of stuff.

Y just use a comon kitchen sponge, the yellow and green ones and some detergent, as if I were washing the dishes. It works fine and leaves no scratches. May take a little more work, but the result is great, give it a try! :wink:

This handlebars had some pitting, and some serious rusted areas, but the chrome was still there, hiding below.
I just used a kitchen sponge, detergent and some good old grease knuckle :D . It wont scratch the chrome at all, you wont be playing with toxic stuff and the result is great.

Before pics? go to viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33351 and check out my latest resto/build while at it :wink:

Back