Clean crusty bearings?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the worst offenders, I use a solvent called Goof Off. It stinks to high heavens and is probably more dangerous than gasoline...plus, it costs more. But it has cleaned the grungiest, most varnished bearings encountered in 15 seconds or less without any scrubbing. I keep a little in small glass jar and swirl the nasty parts in the brew--they come out sparkling.

If you choose to follow my lead, please treat this substance with respect. It probably gives you cancer by just looking at the can.

BTW: the stuff can melt many plastics, so metals only, please.

I spray some cheap Walmart brand foaming degreaser. If they are bad let them soak. Then just rinse them off with hot water while using hands or a toothbrush to get the junk off. Sometimes I spray them off with brake cleaner and let them dry. Grease and install.

since we went all "green" here in Cali' I have found this stuff! works great!! harsh on your hands tho... :grin:

F18760945.jpg

put em evaporust,just check em every couple hrsno labor neededthey will come out as new

Saved a couple of motors with stuck rings with berrymans Chem tool, down the spark plug holes, and let it sit, eats carbon and crud away!

Parts cleaner will also eat plastic & rubber , so watch what you put in it.

Bearings....Soak em in diesel fuel and blow em out with a air hose, they come out spotless, if not I take the race to the wirewheel and replace the balls....they need it anyhow if they are that shot.

Back