CL tactics, the good kind for quick and easy sales

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I read thru the bad CL tactics thread and thought well what are some good tactics to help you have a good and quick sale.

I have a bike on craigslist http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25163 see this thread. I had a good buyer but he wanted a Pro or Expert size frame, since the 1st I've only had a few spammy inquires.

How long should I let it sit before reposting? How long should I wait before lowering the price? Or should I? what are your tactics to sell on Craigslist? What info do you include/exclude?

Lets share, lets learn,
Marcelo

2 things help a lot: Well Photographed and Well Described.

Besides the obvious, include photos, no photo, no lookee. 4 photos are free. Use all 4 to show an overall view, and detailed closeups of the good points, and maybe to help describe minor flaws.

I am continually amazed at what people put up on CL and expect results.

I guess the one that really gets me is when they take a photo in portrait orientation, and can't even be bothered to rotate the silly thing before posting it. Also, it's not film folks, if it's horribly out of focus, they know it and can retake the same shot over and over until it is in focus, costing only a few more seconds of their precious time. It's not like you have to take it to be developed to see what the shot looks like. Horrible OOF makes me think they are hiding something.

Describe the silly thing, not just "I'm selling a bike I don't want anymore." Brand, condition, good points, points that detract, but are not a deal killer, things that I might want to know before I drive all the way to see it. Chips in the paint (err, OK), just professionally tuned up (good), back wheel was bent in a wreck, (I'd want to know) etc. Be honest.

A whole lot like the CL ad you posted, BTW.

give your phone # ... (i dont do emails on craigslist, cuts down on the tire kickers imo)
good pictures
describe it as much as you can in as few words possible
cash in hand, but i dont sell stuff out from under people, even if the next guy can buy it sooner than the first.
always get a name/#
make them come to you

just my opinion

I sold 1 thing on Cl. Guy paypald and I shipped. worked well. If I were you i wouldnt even mention the bike being dropped. But I think it may be to late to change, someone has probably already noted that and if you repost without that info they will spam Cl saying what a lowlife you are :lol: :roll:

ImageShack is the best in my book. :D

Good pictures are definitely a must. Put the wheel reflectors up because I have OCD. :wink: Never say the bike you're selling is awesome if the pictures you have posted tell a different story -- be honest. Include the frame size if it's a road bike. The best day to post an ad in my opinion is on Friday because people have the weekend ahead of them and therefore they may be bike hungry (especially in the Spring), or since Saturday is a free day for most people (I never do CL deals on Sundays). If you get multiple hits on one bike, trying to set up a time with the first person as early as possible. That way, if that person doesn't follow through, you have the whole day ahead of you -- you can contact the next person, and therefore you can just work down the clock that day until you sell it.

In a large city where you get maybe a 100 bike ads a day, people aren't going to go through 3 weeks of old ads to get to yours, so repost every few days if necessary.

One thing I see is that people sometimes have exotic stuff, and they just assume everyone knows what all that stuff is. But if you're shopping for $200 bikes, you're probably not a bike expert. So if you're selling something special, tell people why it's special, don't just say "Acme B-12 Doohingy" and assume everyone knows how wonderful it is.

I've got a little tactic that works like a charm. I call it the "Weekend Special".

Here's how it works:
1. In your head, figure out your realistic price- (let's say $150).
2. Create an ad on a Friday afternoon.
3. At the end of the title, add "****WEEKEND SPECIAL****"
4. In the price section, put in a slightly higher amount than your realistic price ($200).
5. Create your ad as normal- good description, pics, etc.
6. At the bottom of the ad, include the following:
*****WEEKEND SPECIAL*****
Pickup item by 8:00pm Sunday and I'll knock of $25, making your price $175!
Pickup item by 8:00pm Saturday and I'll knock of $50, making your price $150!!!

Trust me- you'll sell by noon on Saturday. It ALWAYS works for me.

Thanks everyone,

Lots of good info/tactics!

@Whomhead : I wish I had known about your "weekend special" I would have tried it. I think I am going to repost my bike, should I drop the price or raise it and "weekend special" it?... Maybe I'll keep the price and "weekend special" it! But first some more pics

Back