CL Scam?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this in response to an add about a bike, anybody ever recieved anything similar?

Thanks for your response to my mail. I hope it is in good conditionlike it stated because I have taken a close look at the advert and amcompletely satisfied, . I'll want you to remove the advert from weband consider this item is sold to me, I'll be paying via Certifiedcheck.So i want to be the best offer by adding $50 to your money and ihope you will keep this item for me

Your Full Name
Contact Physical Address not p.o box
City and State with Zip Code
Cell phone number

I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shippingi will have my mover to come over as soon as you have the check,and iwill get back to you once my secretary made the payment out to you. Thanks.

Sounds really fishy to me...

it is fishy, i've had a few of em over the years.

always the same thing. extra money in the form of a certified check, and somebody else responsible for shipping.

you cash the check, they pick up the item, check bounces/is cancelled and your left holding the bag (no contact info, cause theres no shipping addy/responsiblities. :) )

Just email back stating you intend to keep the item up untill any payment clears the banking process as of now no payments have been made and you look forward to there payment and possable transaction.

I always post in my CL ads. "Local Sales only, Cash Only"

I have never had any fishy emails.

The hook is greed! Why would someone offer more, especially on the Craigs list site!This is where people look for a deal. I have had someone try and work the same scam on me,claimed to be from canada.Report that sorry so and so!Remove the add, right!more like let me shut you down and work you sucker!Pure scam my man!I actually tried to catch ol Elvis from Canada, I gave him a work address and phone # to work with, never heard back from him, know why? He could'nt put my name to any of this info. and a con-man can smell one of his own kind a mile away! :wink:

Heres another thought, bet he was not even interested in your bike. He was more interested in your info. Nothing more than a sleazy scammer trying an identity theft! :shock:

Slick Rick said:
Heres another thought, bet he was not even interested in your bike. He was more interested in your info. Nothing more than a sleazy scammer trying an identity theft! :shock:

You are right. I had a scammer like that before. He was an idiot though.

Goodday,
I would like to know if this item is pretty much available forsale,Please send me an email or leave message on (580) 713-0510 to know the current condition of the item.Leave me a message with your name and email address, probably a phone number too but won't be able to call back, I'm speech impaired but I will definitely send you an email. Thank you.

lol... speech impaired. :lol:

Don't even ask, its a scammer of course. When dealing on CL I always put "CASH ONLY ON PICKUP" that prevents scammers from wasting my time. If you want to deal with shipping and long distance buyers do it on Ebay with Paypal.

Complete and utter b.s. Don't mess with it. Here's the deal, do you know any American that speaks that way? Also, even the person with the worst grammer at least knows how use basic punctuation. I've recieved several of these emails and they all have the same theme, crappy spelling, bad grammer, the whole Cashier's check thing, and a complete cluelessness as to what I had posted. I quote them 10x's what I was asking for and they're still willing to buy it.

I have two bikes listed on CL right now. here is an email I got last night-

"Am interested in your bike
barorg james <[email protected]>

Hello seller,
How are you doing today? my name is John, my wife
was surfing the internet and she saw new posted bike in were you
posted it on CRAIGSLIST, but its not enough to see them only that's why
i send this short mail to you so that you can list different types and
with the price of the bike for me and i can be able to know the one i'm
buying from you...........More so my method of payment is Money order
so let me know your mind and please get back to me if you are willing
to sell for me and please make it snappy because i want to use to
present for my son's birthday.....
Looking forward to read back from you soon

John"

I can't figure out what he is up to. I am wondering since he responded through CL, if it is just a way to get me to respond so he can get my address. Other then that, I have no idea. I am not taking any chances with this one. I only have two bikes listed and they each have their own add, so if he was interested in one, he would know which one it is?

michaelscycles said:
I am not taking any chances with this one. I only have two bikes listed and they each have their own add, so if he was interested in one, he would know which one it is?

Yeah Michael, it's probably a scam, it'd be best to stay away from it. The message he sent you looks like he did a copy-paste job on multiple Craigslist ads as the wording sounds like it would work on any which bike ad he decides to reply to.

this reminds me of last year

I had some older bike on craigslist...i was getting NON-STOP spam emails about it

I had one guy asking me if he wanted to ship the wedding dress on craigslist to his son who is living with his parents in africa

Im thinking...what?

TheFlyingDingo said:
I had one guy asking me if he wanted to ship the wedding dress on craigslist to his son who is living with his parents in africa

Im thinking...what?

lol, I remember that one. It's quite easy to determine that some scammers never passed the 3rd grade. :wink:

Back