Circa 1970? "Starflite" Polo Bike (by Ross, I thi

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is what got me back into old bikes a couple years ago. I found this in a thrift store near where my parents live on Long Island and I absolutely couldn't let it sit. I paid $15 for it, and my wife thought I was nuts.

pinkpolo01.JPG

The headbadge says "Starflite", and the guard says "Polo Bike". It looks a lot to me like a department store Ross... anybody know who sold bikes under the name Starflite?

My plan was to find a boys' musclebike frame and transfer the parts onto it, maybe buy a new seat if I had to. For some reason, I didn't want to mess up the paint on this one... it was too nice. But I wasn't finding a suitable boys' frame. What I did find was a beater middleweight with an identical girls' frame that had a so-so repaint done to it. I adapted and painted a "tank" off a Columbia 16" convertible, bought a cheap white banana seat from a lowrider website, and ended up with this:

PICT0046.JPG

Fun to cruise around the block with the kiddies. Then I found a couple more bikes to diddle with, and I was letting my 2 oldest kids try it out:

kidsride.JPG

My daughter in particular really liked it; she said she liked riding it a lot better than the $40 Toys-R-Us Murray she got a coupe Christmases ago. And as you guys know, when your little girl wants something...

anyway, I swapped all the stuff back to the pink frame, and it's hers for now:

poloride01.JPG

poloride02.JPG

poloride03.JPG

poloride04.JPG

and now Daddy has some new stuff to play with, which will show up in another couple threads...

--rick

edit: i should have mentioned that she always wears a helmet when she rides, but what she was wearing was just such a 70's-looking thing, it went perfect with the bike... so I took the shots without a helmet on her.

It's always fun to see a kid of today enjoing the bikes of yesterday.The retro pic's are great I too would like my kid ride with out a helmet for a few good shots like that. Thanks for sharing.

Rick!!!!! Holy Crap man, good to see you!!!! This is Brian aka "TXstreetracer" from Hobbytalk forums :D

I had no idea that you were also into bikes.......I've been a bike fiend for years...lol.

TexasXXX said:
Rick!!!!! Holy Crap man, good to see you!!!! This is Brian aka "TXstreetracer" from Hobbytalk forums :D

I had no idea that you were also into bikes.......I've been a bike fiend for years...lol.

hey cool! so are there any other slot car nuts over here? :p

--rick

ParkRNDL said:
TexasXXX said:

--rick

Rick, to my knowledge...no you and I are the only slot car nuts here...lol. Although this hobby is really based upon things that are "vintage"....I'm willing to bet a handfull of other guys here might also be into slot cars....or have a set stashed somewhere ;)

TexasXXX said:
ParkRNDL said:
TexasXXX said:

--rick

Rick, to my knowledge...no you and I are the only slot car nuts here...lol. Although this hobby is really based upon things that are "vintage"....I'm willing to bet a handfull of other guys here might also be into slot cars....or have a set stashed somewhere ;)
actually ....was racing them about 10 years ago...stopped when the local track closed down...but have been watching videoes on you tube the last cpl dAYS. dont know why just did a search. What you guys race? round and round or do you do drags?

I've got a bunch of slot cars. I haven't been to a track in years though.

I also have a bunch of t-jet cars from my childhood.

I do mainly HO scale slot cars...primarily Tjets. I do road type racing...and dabble just a bit with drag racing.

I'm also a model car builder........been doing that since I was 9 or 10 ;)

I love doing HO slot car customs......wether it's working on custom resin plastic bodies...or doing nice wheel swaps and custom paint :)

pretty much the same as Tex here... I have a 16-foot-long table in the basement with an HO scale track layout. I have probably 400 cars, between 200 and 300 are the old-style "pancake" motors like Tjets and AFX. And yeah, I have a whole shelving unit in the dungeon--er, basement full of built, unbuilt, and semi-built model kits. (Sounds like I ought to take this over to the "Other Talk" board... :roll: )

Brian, you're right about the "vintage" thing. I think a big part of the appeal of slot cars, model kits, and old bikes is the nostalgia factor. We're all getting to do the stuff again that we loved to do as kids... although to be fair, I've noticed a few on this board who were born well after the demise of the banana seat. Kudos to them for having an appreciation for pop culture history...

--rick

Latest posts

Back