Cincinnati Newcomer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm getting back into bicycles it seems. I guess you can never really stay away for too long. This spring as gas prices started spiking, I've been thinking about biking to work (15 miles one way, w/ hills if you're at all familiar with Cincinnati geography). Suffice it to say my '39 Elgin isn't up to task. I've been looking into building the ultimate commuter bike using one of my vintage bikes. My original plan was to use a Flying Pigeon, but rod brakes and hills make bad bed-fellows. I decided that it would be easier to use drum brakes and a vintage bike. Though I have a wider range of bikes from the 20s-70s, my primary collection focus is prewar ballooners. I definitely like original and restored bicycles, but I do appreciate the aesthetic of some of the bikes on here. Particularly the ones that pay homage to their teens-30s heritage.

One potential future build could involve a maytag motor that I have...anyone have any takes on how well maytag motors work for bikes? I've seen it done, but I don't know how well a hit or miss motor would perform.

Wes

Welcome aboard. There are some great videos on Youtube with bikes running old washing machine motors. :D

Welcome Wes! Commuting on an 80 lb bike through Cincinnati would be very impressive. I went to UC and I brought a bike to campus one time. That was a mistake.

Are you going to be able to make it to our picnic/show this weekend at Winton Woods?

Later,
Greg

Back