chrome welding ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For more experienced welders. When mig welding a chrome plated piece do you need to remove the plating before welding? Working on a fender brace when I noticed what looked to be copper coating under the chrome. Not knowing anything about chroming I assume this is to help the plating to stick? Does it pollute the weld?

I have never experiences a problem either but this was the first time (cheap chroming job?) that I ever saw the undercoating so it just crossed my mind it might be a problem.

It would only be a problem if your welds needed to meet a specific rating and were xray tested. I have welded stuff that would never meet any of the above criteria, and it was fine. Being hobbyists we are allowed some slack :) it is after all our own life we are endangering lol (ok, maybe that was not too funny )

peace

rich

That is sort of what I was worried about. As I start selling some of my creations wondering if I should stay away from such things as laid back seat posts?? The metal is pretty thick and I weld the heck out of them but still wondering if I am setting myself up for trouble.

Just change the way you do some of the stuff. Layed back seatposts can still be done, use tubing that it fits into and don't weld them... it is only a matter of researching what is a better alternative... else just use bare tubing or solid material and make your own... There are only a couple of ways to go there.

Rich

Back