Chrome Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this one up today at a garage sale. Looks like it's a 1995. It's all chrome and you'd have a hard time finding a spec or rust on it. It's got a coaster brake and a caliper brake on the rear. Doubt that's the way it came. I'm guessing someone moved the caliper from the front. I'm going to take it completely apart, lube it up and give it a good cleaning. Will need a new brake cable and pedals but that's about it. Not sure if I'm going to keep it completely stock or not. Even if I keep it stock I'll remove the stickers to let as much chrome show as possible.

schwinn.jpg

Cool find.Id take the top tube sticker off but leave the Schwinn sticker on it.I think that rear brake came on it,or the post would be super long,and it would need a bunch of spacers because of the lack of threads.Looks fun!!

The brake is probably stock. It looks like there are cable guides on the frame, so my guess is that it came that way. A fair amount of entry level kids bikes have a coaster and canti brakes as a way of getting kids used to using the hand brakes. Cool little bike!

Good point on the cable guide. I didn't think about that. I still might move that brake up to the front.

I'm thinking about doing some kind of fat tire build on this. I wonder what the widest tires I can fit on these wheels and in the frame and fork. The stock tires are 20X1.75 .

If that's the case I'll leave it as it is. Not to worried about that brake, but I appreciate the input.

What's the widest tires that I can fit on these stock wheels and inside the frame. Anyone have a guess or first hand knowledge??

Back