Chicken coop find (pre war?) Elgin questions.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my sign in name indicates, antique brass fans is my passion. I do have a few Stingrays that we ride around. I’ve been wanting a skip tooth bike just because I think the gear looks cool. I went to buy a fan and happened to see this Elgin in an old chicken coop. I decided it needed a better home. That leads to the questions. Any idea of year? Are the rims correct? They don’t seem wide enough for balloon tires. Handlebar and neck seem a little odd, possibly backwards? I know it looks terrible but it rolls and there aren’t any rust holes in the frame or fenders. F3463 is the only number I can see on the bottom of the frame. Thanks for any help and advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2648.jpeg
    IMG_2648.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2649.jpeg
    IMG_2649.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2653.jpeg
    IMG_2653.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2654.jpeg
    IMG_2654.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2655.jpeg
    IMG_2655.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2656.jpeg
    IMG_2656.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2657.jpeg
    IMG_2657.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2659.jpeg
    IMG_2659.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
My guess is late 1920's or early 1930s Elgin Motorbike. The rims are correct. They are metal-clad wood rims and are probably 28". The tires would've been glued on. Yes the stem is backwards.

BTW, I also collect vintage fans!

Last edited:
As my sign in name indicates, antique brass fans is my passion. I do have a few Stingrays that we ride around. I’ve been wanting a skip tooth bike just because I think the gear looks cool. I went to buy a fan and happened to see this Elgin in an old chicken coop. I decided it needed a better home. That leads to the questions. Any idea of year? Are the rims correct? They don’t seem wide enough for balloon tires. Handlebar and neck seem a little odd, possibly backwards? I know it looks terrible but it rolls and there aren’t any rust holes in the frame or fenders. F3463 is the only number I can see on the bottom of the frame. Thanks for any help and advice.

My guess is 1930's. The rims are correct. They are metal-clad wood rims and are probably 28". The tires would've been glued on. Yes the stem is backwards.

BTW, I also collect vintage fans!
So I'm not nuts I think vintage fans are some of the coolest things

Welcome aboard. Cool Elgin.
The rear hub looks like a Morrow to me. Starting in 1931, these hubs have a code stamped on the barrel that makes them pretty easy to date. A 1931 hub would have an A followed by either a 1,2,3 or 4 for 1st, 2nd,3rd or 4th quarter of that year. B would be 1932, and so on. Not sure how to date a Morrow if 1930 or earlier.
The rims are wooden or metal clad, probably 28 inch. Not sure how long those were in production. I would say not long after 1933 when the whole 26" balloon tire thing started.

I think I just repeated a lot of what RM just said!

Thanks so much for the replies, I really appreciate the information. I couldn’t figure out the wheels. Glued on rubber definitely explains things. It’s quite a bit older than I had guessed. And yes, fans are literally and figuratively cool. I have around a hundred or so. I’m addicted to brass. 🤓

I would estimate late 1920's with an "F" serial number.
The Excelsior Cycle company had financial difficulties in the late 1920's; (I vaguely recall reading something about the year 1929).
Not sure if they lasted into 1930, although pictures of their makes are shown in ads for 1930's Sears Elgin bikes.

I also was going to suggest looking for a date code on the Eclipse-Morrow coaster brake hub, but forgot that the stamping started in 1931-A. So if the hub has a date code stamp (not 36-13), then the hub would not be original to the bike.

Latest posts

Back