Chicago (Northwest Burbs/Wisconson Border)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the internet rat scene, but pretty much every bike I've ever had has been ratted and not by choice (my family was poor and my first NEW bike was a Schwinn stingray chopper at age 18) my first bike, that wasn't the family learner bike, was my neighbors old Huffy, my dad put 2 old junk wheels on it before my older brother outgrew his bike.
--Now I'm a 25 year old machinist and history lover. Can't stand to see people throw away useful stuff, which is how I got back into bikes. My job affords oppurtunities to blast and powdercoat metal (avoiding the lot charge!) and I sometimes find old bikes in scrap hoppers. Win/Win. Have been stalking this site for weeks and am glad to finally contribute. Now I have to make my girlfriend teach me to put pictures on the net so I can show my collection of rust (potential!)

welcome, this site is great...

i'm also in milwaukee...we should do a lakefront ride/bbq when the weather permits...

This site IS GREAT. Everyone is actually friendly, helpful, and productive! I would totally dig some rides. Skip- I'll def find a way to get to the next ride if the cruiser can handle it. Dreaming of showing off your work is what finishes a project. -I'm mostly into chopper (motorcycle) style bikes, and crazy-goofy-one of a kind on your block stuff, but old school arch frames and fat tires are SWEET!
- Any steam-punk guys here?? My dream is a long tike, with twin chopper forks, ape hangers, and a fake V-twin made of 2 six packs. Will look half motorcycle/half dragster. Just a dream in my head for after I finish at least one of my projects.
- Thanks for the welcome and Ill be counting on you when I restore my 50's (I Think) 4 jewel Higgins skiptooth I found buried in a graveyard of snow and scrap metal. Would really like to find out how far gone something has to be before it's beyond practical repair. Will show pics soon to get everybodys opinion on what I should blast to bare metal and what I should just scrap (or art recycle) and replace with "new" better condition parts. The Higgins I have is so cool looking, even with the rust, I can't believe someone was going to crush it and ship it to China! I think a bar or restaurant would give me good money to hang it on the wall AS-IS as art, if it isn't worth the work to actually ride...-People.
-Admit I'm a newb and HATE metric, but love customs and old school.

Back