Checkered decals

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help with finding checkered decals I want to use on my white Basman fenders.
Problem is, google is not much help when you use search terms like "checkered" "black and white" "stickers" (= decals in dutch) and such.
Somebody told me to look for cartuning sites, but I'm a noob on cars...nothing usefull shows up besides chess games to cut up. :mrgreen:
Anybody know better search terms or has links ?

Cheers in advance !

Cheers Uncle, I appreciate your angle, but I don't want to go that route (yet).

First I want to try the decal way, as I'm not 100% sure whether I will like the theme as a keeper. Don't want to spraypaint over powdercoat unless I have to. I have been a spraypainter for 2,5 years in a distant past, so don't worry if I do go that route. Heck, spraypainting is just like riding a bike, right ? :mrgreen:

I'll visit some cartuning shop and look for checkers-tape on a roll, like racers use on the sides of their cars. 2 rows of black & white blocks approx. 1" wide in total. Don't want to fully cover the fenders, just the centre, as with tape/decals it will start to ripple on the sides, if you know what I mean ? Funny thing is, I can't find a single example on the web showing what I'm after - how hard can it be ? :? :lol:

Ace said:
Those squares look a little too big for me, but that's a very ratty solution 8)

They´re not that big actually...
2276819240101087470S600x600Q85.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22142&start=0

Getting 2" wide ISC checkerboard tape flat down the middle of a fender is nigh on impossible with the compound curve... i gave up.

Not if you use a hair blower to make it a little more malleable 8)
and it will be very hard to remove once the glue gets heated... :D

I tried to checker my fender with some decal I purchased from a local hobby store. I used it for my rc planes and had a lot of scrap. The problem I had with it on the fender was getting it to wrap around the curves. Heating it didnt help either. I ended up taping it off with the green frog tape from Lowes then cutting lines accross and removing squares. Verrrrrrrrrryyy time consuming but well worth the effort. After paint I applied about 5 coats of clear and the end result was perfect.
P1161182-1.jpg

started with masking off the flat black fender.
d2a87e34.jpg

0e8edc4c.jpg

I used a flat clear coat to smoothen out the paint edges and protect it.
901d46a8.jpg

This paint is the best out there. It dries extremely fast and coats well. I used it on 2 bikes and its amazing.
c8656574.jpg

Hairdrier didn't work so well. Although it could be my lack of ability and/or perseverance.

Back