Check out my Latest Purchase....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well a month or so ago Im not sure what I was thinking but I bought another Murray Eliminator Lot off eBay, this makes 3 I have now. Im not sure who really makes this bike though, its definitely a Murray frame but Im not familiar with whats left of the head badge. Anyone ever seen that one before? The frame is rusty as heck , or as American Pickers would say Sweaty haha, but it does look usable, the decals are cool though much nicer than the Murray ones. I think Id like to have them reproduced. Also it has what looks like a factory springer, was that a Murray option or did someone just do a good job of adding it? Lastly has anyone seen a suspension sissy bar like that before? Ive only seen the Schwinn look-a-likes, and is the missing bracket obtainable?

IMG_20151212_210017_466_zpsprnbhdrw.jpg

IMG_20151212_210006_045_zpsfqjw4uos.jpg

IMG_20151212_205958_399_zpsgxvtshec.jpg

IMG_20151212_205954_142_zpsqfxeosiw.jpg

IMG_20151212_205945_407_zps7inpsvnf.jpg

IMG_20151212_205939_197_zpssaik6mlw.jpg

It is a 68 Sears Screamer coaster version. Pretty rare bike. Less then 10 of them around. Your sissy bar is not correct with the springs. It should be a smooth bar and the ends would be flared so the bar doesn't come through the bottom clamp. I have a set of the bottom clamps and the correct seat. The sissy bar is called a Bronco Bar. They pop up every so often on Ebay. Correct chain guard is hard to find but there is another you can "make" work. Here is a post from someone with the same bike. You can see a catalog pic of what it should look like

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...ears-screamer-parts-needed.57075/#post-540510

So whopperchopper are you saying youre the one I bought from on eBay?

I had no idea I bought anything rare when I bought this bike I just thought it was another worn out Eliminator that Id try to rebuild. Is this why people seem to try and lump the Eliminator and screamer together all the time?

Is the bike anything special or valuable because of what it is? Id had to go changing it and ruin something special. In other words I dont want to be the guy that buys a 69 SS Camaro and decides I want to put stock sport trim and a 6 cylinder in it. You know....

It is worth putting it back to original. These eliminator frames were used for the 68 Screamer only. In 69 through 72 they had their own unique frame. The 69 frame is higher in the back. They also used a smaller front fork on the 69 and up Screamers. It is a rare bike. I said under 10 but probably around 6 counting yours. Believe it or not the thing that makes the value in your bike is the serial number stamped on the dropout...lol It is like a vin number you can match it to a catalog number. Can't cheat and make one of these from another Eliminator frame. Numbers won't match up.

No, I still have mine, in fact I found a near mint seat for it a year ago. I'm not sure what they are worth, the right chain guard, and drag brake will be hard to find and costly. Also the corect Murray rims and rear fender. It's a nice riding bike and really cool looking. I would like to paint mine, but it does have that survivor look. Good luck.

Last edited:
Judging by wopperchoppers bike the springs and brackets on the sissy bar are original to my bike just not the sissy bar. Now is this like my 69 Eliminator and it has a 24 inch rear with a 20 inch front? Or is it a 20 inch rear and 16 inch front? Am I right in thinking that this bike didn't have the fade paint job that the Eliminators had? Were they all 3 speed coasters or 5 speed to? There is a guy on ebay with a drag brake but it seems way over priced at $100.

they are 20/16, no fade paint job but its a candy paint meaning you have to lay down a silver base then go over it with purple. They are not 3 speeds, single speed coaster. the $100 seems about right for the brake. You most likely will have much more into restoring it than its worth, then again i haven't tried to sell mine so not sure what it would bring.

Here is what a sissy bar just sold for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bro...579591?hash=item2809a63607:g:pE8AAOSw0HVWFGco

Do you see Whopper's guard and the screw that holds the guard to the frame? Other Spyder guards have the screw hole at the bottom of the guard. It won't fit your bike as is but it can be made to work. The hole in the correct guard is higher up.

This is the wrong guard with the hole at the bottom
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEARS-SPYDER-24-5-SPEED-CHAIN-GUARD-/231731627451?hash=item35f44805bb:g:bVEAAOSwYHxWLSqp&nma=true&si=Hpco1Kc0qOLYzkzwi3CsQism87k%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Nice acquisition! Those are rare bikes as everyone has said. The important part of them being rare is that the serial numbers on the Murray frames tell you which model you have. So, unlike a Schwinn, where you can take any 1968 20 inch frame and restore it as a correct coaster Stingray, you have to have the frame with a coaster Screamer serial number to make a correct coaster Screamer.

For the drag brake, the unit is the same basic design as the 5-Speed unit, it just has the word BRAKE under the indicator dial rather than the 5-Speed numbers. The shifter arms are also slightly different in that the coaster arm doesn't have the indents for the ball bearing to "click" into gear, but you can remove the ball bearing from a 5-speed shifter and it will operate the same way.

There is a used 5-speed shifter on eBay right now actually. It is pretty rough, but you would have something usable. The drag brakes themselves do not come up for sale very often.

I have a BRAKE decal I took out of a used shifter I can scan and send you, you could make a decal from it.

And, I have a used rear shock if you want one at this point. The rear shocks do come up for sale now and again, NOS units sell around $150, used for less.

Nice acquisition again! Can't wait to see you get it back to it's glory!

Last edited:
Oh, and the head badge symbol is SR for Sears and Roebuck!

This is why I love this forum, thank you guys for all this info. After playing with it and scratching some dirt off Im seeing it was originally yellow so, Im starting to think this bike was the 5 speed version like the yellow one in this picture. I was trying to find that shifter but on ebay but couldnt find it could someone send me the link please. What bikes came with that sissy bar? $60 doesnt seem to terrible compared to what I spent for the tall one on my Eliminator.I found the crazy handle bars on eBay theyre a little steep but I guess its worth it to get something this rare back together. Are these the right brackets for the sissy bar? I only have one right now http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muscle-bike...457694?hash=item2ee8c0fe1e:g:eXoAAOSwAKxWVhw7 Right now my biggest concerns are getting a pair of Murray wheels and worse comes to worse have a 5 speed hub installed, and finding the original Flamboyant Yellow paint.

1484.jpg

I tried to take a look before work this morning, but its way too rusty. I'll look for some oxalic acid when I get home and see if I can make up a paste and just leave it on the serial number. I'm afraid to wire wheel it and lose the number.

I am thinking the same thing as Whopperchopper, the serial number is what you need to know to know the bike it is. Find that and you'll solve that puzzle.

For the clamps, yes, those are the right clamps, but don't get those, they are well used and I have some NOS I can hook you up with.

Let me see if I can find that shifter one eBay...

That number isn't coming off. Hit it with a wire wheel and it will appear like magic. I have a shifter cover and shifter but it is missing the T handle. I also have a nice seat to. I would take 60 dollars for the seat and 30 Dollars for the shifter. I can post pics if you want them.

Jaxon you can pretty much consider that stuff sold. But I have to buy everyone's Christmas presents first before I go buying my self some.. I came across a girls Sears Spyder about 10 mins from my house. Its a coaster. If mine turns out to be a coaster can I use the real wheel, sissy bar, and recover the seat?
00C0C_9ityNcxaUIO_600x450.jpg

00x0x_909ddjBOo4r_600x450.jpg

I figure then its just a matter of finding a Murray or sears 16 inch front wheel right?

Sorry wrong wheels. The wheels you want will have MO MFG stamped on the side of the rim. They also look like 20 spoke wheels. You need 28 spoke. I think the 16 inch front rim could be unstamped to but not sure on that.

Last edited:
Back