Cheap Tools

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
First off I know Park Tools are the best and are great tool's, but...
Has anyone had any experience with this set
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-B-37-piec ... 9386834718
. At only about a third of the cost I was wondering how it worked. As stated above I know the Park tools, will hold up better but will how are theses for the money? Thanks.

Re: real cost of a tool

Harvie said:
Park tools the best. bwaahahaha

Tools are only cheap if they last until you give them away or sell them. http://www.snapon.com

sorry, but as an automotive technician Snap-On is no longer the best. They have a big name, but there quality has dropped. Their tools brake just like Matco, Cornwell and Craftsman. Don't get me started on their blue-point junk that is supposed to be as good as snap on, but made overseas.

@Farhrrad, I would say go for it and let us know how it works out for you.

90% or more of my Snap On tools are worth more than I paid for them over the 50 years I have been buying and using them, that is my measure of cost.....

so Snap On tools are the cheapest I have ever used.....try that with other tools.

Snap On still makes very high quality hand tools. I like Snapon Matco MAC Williams Cornwell just about any Americam made tool...The best is subjective. Precision I go to Swiss/Germany....my Etalon stuff is perfect.....

Harvie said:
90% or more of my Snap On tools are worth more than I paid for them over the 50 years I have been buying and using them, that is my measure of cost.....

so Snap On tools are the cheapest I have ever used.....try that with other tools.

Snap On still makes very high quality hand tools. I like Snapon Matco MAC Williams Cornwell just about any Americam made tool...The best is subjective. Precision I go to Swiss/Germany....my Etalon stuff is perfect.....

I should have known that you were talking about their quality years :oops:
I cant argue with that. :wink:

All I buy is craftsman b/c if I have an issue I know where to go to get it replaced. No questions asked.

I don't have to chase down a truck and have that independent owner ( which most truck operators are) out of a sale since they make no money on warranty.

MIGZ said:
All I buy is craftsman b/c if I have an issue I know where to go to get it replaced. No questions asked.

I don't have to chase down a truck and have that independent owner ( which most truck operators are) out of a sale since they make no money on warranty.

Thats the old way, I still use it if I run into a truck but, now log on to their website and get it warrantied, sent to your location for shipping cost.... :mrgreen:

Now is the best ime in history to buy a large box because many dealers are going to supplied storeage so the mechanics don't need their storeage boxes anymore. 10K BOXES ARE SELLING FOR 2k .....

If these are your first tools they will probably work, for starters. Use them till they bend, break, or stretch them replace them with higher quality. Experience will prove, that in tools, you get what you pay for. If and when you replace tools or get more :mrgreen: go with the best quality you can afford, you'll not regret it.

Gizmo said:
If these are your first tools they will probably work, for starters. Use them till they bend, break, or stretch them replace them with higher quality. Experience will prove, that in tools, you get what you pay for. If and when you replace tools or get more :mrgreen: go with the best quality you can afford, you'll not regret it.

+1

Here is an idea

find out what those Park tools are going to cost you then see if you can get SnapOn MAC Matco USED...

(let someone else pay the profit for the tool company)

That is what my grandfather taught me to do....and it works big time......

Fahrrad said:
First off I know Park Tools are the best and are great tool's, but...
Has anyone had any experience with this set
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-B-37-piec ... 9386834718
. At only about a third of the cost I was wondering how it worked. As stated above I know the Park tools, will hold up better but will how are theses for the money? Thanks.

I think some of the people replying aren't familiar with Park Tools. Anyway, I just got a nice big (to me) set of Park Tools for Christmas, had it not been given to me I would definitely buy this for the price, heck, even with my park stuff, this set is tempting as a set to keep in the car as I repair a lot of kids bikes around town or when they bring them to church.

If these start breaking replace piece-meal with better stuff, but I think some of it will last the test of time for many of us who are hobbyists.

FYI I already have a significant set of Craftsman tools, as well as some Chiwanies tools from HF. I was looking at theses so as to have more of the Bike specialty tools. But after some of the responses here, as soon as I sell somethings I will be getting this sent and reporting on it. Thanks for the input.

Craftsman, Williams, Snap-On...Etc. Etc. If you can get a 100% replacement guarantee, and all you have to do is send it back to them, buy them! The same goes for Gerber multi-tools, Buck Knives, Etc. All of the companies I just named have stood behind their products...100%. you can't ask for better than that. Just this year Williams replaced a ratchet that I have owned for 35 years...without a receipt! Craftsman replaced a ratchet that broke after purchasing it at a YARD SALE!

Harvie said:
Now is the best ime in history to buy a large box because many dealers are going to supplied storeage so the mechanics don't need their storeage boxes anymore. 10K BOXES ARE SELLING FOR 2k .....

DING DING DING!

Yup, the dealer I work at had to do that. Now I have a large Snap-On box (not 10K large though) sitting in my garage. I will not sell it because I don't know what the future will bring. If I go somewhere else, I will need it again. However, there are enough used boxes on the market that a new one is just silly in most cases.

What kind of shop do you work at Harvie?

Not quite sure where you guys are at but we are not getting the same deals here on boxes. The cheapest and best deal I have scene is a $4500 Matco box at the Pate Swap for $1400. Usually they are trying to get about 50%-75% of new value here. Which is why I own a HF big box. For the money you cannot beat it.

Again thanks for the valued feed back.

I see them on Craigslist every so often. They are a tough sell because it is a limited number of buyers. If you have cash and are ready to make a deal, sellers will ususally come way down. Depends how motivated they are.

Back