Cheap, plentiful solvent?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on a cheap, plentiful solvent to clean that black crud on chains and derailleurs?

What's your best trick?

Thanks!

washing up liquid (dish soap) is a cheap degreaser just add a scrubbing brush no solvents needed

gunk isnt bad for the money but dont know if you get it over in the US

My weapons of choice. :mrgreen:

dawn-dish-soap1-lrg.png

greased-lightning-pic.jpg

Cheers,
Dr.T

Gasoline is my solvent of choice. Just use caution, I mean it's gasoline! No smoking, don't weld right next to where your parts are soaking, blow out the fru-fru candles.

It eats right through all the crud and old grease with no problems. I usually soak for 24 hours and rarely need to scrub at all.

don't use gas,, thats like using a #12 sledge hammer to crack walnuts, not to mention 2 gallons of gas will level your house if it gets set off right.. :roll: if all you got is the gas station, use diesel, it works just as good and is far less dangerous..

this is my main grease cutter,
iLc8DYR_3rGMO25hjJ4aUfY1To0skJ9iVSR-Y9lIJTU-Z_eVKGXjQkMEICYVOKzjMjruC1Erz0F5Uvh33WJpLB0VbHt_6_4K5oqVA3HK-OeJ_OCR7PnycjMyX3kkImvqFVkAWCuIOJbAB_zYyOxDkuZK7DU6EWZM5nMsSN1VEQ
or laundry detergent..

The company that makes pb blaster also makes a citrus degreaser. I use it and the grease just slides off. U can get it at home depot.

+2 on the simpleGreen, I also use just a smidge of Laquier thinner for the really tough spots.

I am a fan of lacquer thinner, cheap in gallons at the hardware store and it cuts grease without diluting to fast.

I just crack open every empty spray can of lube into a jar (BE CAREFULL)

WD-40/PB Blaster etc.

Add some ATF and any oil ya got laying around...

It works better than anything you can buy.

(my worthless opinion)

Back