Cheap Collegiate 3-speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up my first men's Schwinn lightweight today. Collegiate with Sturmey Archer 3-speed. I paid $5.00 for it at a thrift shop. It's in really nice shape aside from a quarter-sized chip gone from the paint on the top tube and the tires almost look "melted" on the gumwalls.

The serial number is GR504965 which, if my research is correct, dates the frame as being built in December of 1980. The date stamp on the head badge is 2112 which should mean it was assembled July 30th, 1982. Over a year and a half from start to finish?

I'm more of the middleweight/heavyweight cruiser kind of guy, but I think I might keep this and just ride it.

fkaz1lgr.jpg

dutymws5.jpg

majazbj2.jpg

Reagarding the gumwalls....

I think this happens a lot, any Schwinn with Gumwalls I had had the same "leopard skin" styling on the sidewall. :lol: Pretty ugly once they melt.

Nice bike!

Thanks, guys. It's hard to beat a cheap, classic Schwinn. I took off that gawdy front reflector right away which improved the looks 100%. I'll probably pull the HUGE rear reflector off, too. Only thing is that leave two holes in the fender.

Now, does anyone know of an aftermarket 26"x1-3/8" tire for the S-6 rims that might be a little "meatier" than the standard tire? And preferably a blackwall.

Unfortunately you are really limited on S-6 tire selection.

I have only been able to find Kendas here locally and they are what they are....narrow tires.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured. If it wasn't for the 3-speed I'd just swap out the wheels for something that could take wider tires.

Now THAT looks really nice! I'll have to see about upsizing these wheels eventually. Since this isn't really my style of bike and the initial cost was so cheap, I'm unwilling to spend any real money on it(at least at the moment :wink: ).

That was a set of Schwinn wheels that I took off of my 67 Typhoon.

They fit nicely without any rubbing and gave the bike a real solid feel...not to mention a beefier look.

Might be nice to find a set of 26x1.75s off an 80s Huffy with a Shimano 333 hub so you end up with a 3 speed.

Back