Changes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rats, I don't get on here as often as I'd like, does it seem like there are alot of the non traditional rats on here lately? Some great bikes, but not what I've grown accustom to on this board. I not trying to stir up any controversy, I just like the older bikes being customized. :p The choppers, burritos and others are cool as heck, just not the rat rodded bike I'm used to seeing here. I guess maybe I have a diferent interpretation of whats a rat bike and whats a rat rod bike. I like unaltered frames and the imagination that goes into them. Again please don't take this the wrong way! The website is still one of my favorites!
Chainy

orig.jpg

I think the board has become a favored stomping ground for a lot of different bike-bretheren. It's all just bikes, that's been the general concencious from what I can tell.

I find my tastes go from one thing to another and usually it's all here someplace.

Rat Rod said:

Yeah Steve, I know.

But I love this board and don't wanna see it lose it's character. Many of you know that I'm into all kinds of bikes. Bikes is good! I just noticed the trend towards some homemade custom frames and the other styles of bike. Nothing wrong with it, just don't lose our precious RatRods!

No matter what this board is called or what direction it takes I'll be here as often as I can. I'm really here because of the members! Gigs and I have made alot of friends cause of this board!

Skoda, I defintely think you're right! I'm more interested in the traditional RatRods, on this board but I'm intrigued by every picture and every post! I just noticed more of a lean towards the other bikes since my return home.

Thanks,
Chainsaw

I think that the reason a lot of different types of customizers are showing off their stuff here is because of the overall positive attitude,absence of bickering , and lack of spam. (Thanks SteveO)
After all everybody wants to show off their work to an appreciative audience. :lol: The current build off should keep you entertained and I know my entry will be my version of an old school Rat 8)

i havent noticed too much change, just more people seein bikes gettin changed up and wantin to do the same for whatever bike theyve got layin around, and showin off whatever idea they come up with. and the no bickering and frequent posting of things to look at keep reelin em in IMO.

Here in AZ, old bikes arent just laying behind the shed.(except Bombshelters bikes)The old ones that are around arent cheap for the most part.I build w/ what I got, and try to make it cool to me and ride good. A wise man once said "There are many paths to Ratdom"(or something like that) :wink: 8)

Some of it is my fault for not moving posts that don't quite fit the theme.

Some of them ride a fine line of being a Rat Rod and say a chopper or a burrito....sometimes it's hard to say.

i am pretty new here. been to other chat forums. i don't go back to other forums. i stay here.i like it here. i like the people here, yes sencer, i like you too an i like the bikes you build. i wasn't really into rats altho i have had a few rat motorcycles. i got hook on trikes an burritos. since i have been here i am enjoying the rat bikes an have gotton a few old bikes to do. i am enjoying building what to me is a rat bike for the buildoff. i like all bikes, most all styles and no i would not like to see the rat bikes go away. it is not easy for some of us to get old bikes, so we have to build what we can get. anyways yes i agree with you chainy. i just like this forum an surly do not want to change anything, but i like to beable to show you all what i see in my art as i like to see what you all come up with. thats it.

God Bless

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Steve....don't change a thing! I came to this forum because I wanted to explore the idea of taking classic bikes/parts (which I had a lot of) and making supercool bikes that I WANTED to RIDE, not just look at. Pretty sure that is "rat".

However, since I have been here I have been blown away and stimulated by the kustomization and total fabrication people are doing. I love it all, and it ALL seems to fit on this site. Obvious props to Steve and som many of the early members and moderators for setting the infrastructure and tone for an amazing bike breeding ground :mrgreen:

It seems as though even very traditional "Ratters" like to dabble in other areas of bike creation from time to time, and I think we all benefit from being able to witness the explorations.

A personal observation is also that so many of the old bikes had a frame that dictates a riding posture that no longer flys or seems "cool"....as well as often being aimed at smalller humans than who we have evolved into (both in terms of height and girth :wink: ). Some of my favorite work on this site is where people take the "intention" of a classic frame and slightly tweak the rear to hold a bigger wheel, slightly stretch it out (aka Uncles frame), slightly rake the front head tube, etc. Yes, its modification, but it still pays tribute to the ideas that came before.

Keeping the build offs pure (like the one currently going on) is a great way to encourage the continued exploration of "RATTY". It's all soooooooooo GOOD!

Thanks to ALL of you who make this site an amazing space!

Look at the past. Bikes like Honest Abe, or Kenny P made. Some of those bikes were, and still are, extremely radical. It was the combination of ALL styles of building that attracted me to this site. This site is STILL primarily a site of builds with "stock" frames, and hopefully will remain that way. There seems to be more people with a lot of technical skills (talents). These are the people we can all learn from, and apply that learning to any and all builds, stock or chopped. Hey, before I joined this place, I would remove the "decals" on a new bike and THINK I customized it! :lol: . I am extremely happy with my personal progression, with the bikes I've built or put together! I could never have done it without the positive support or the skills that I have learned here. Chainey, you are right! But what we are seeing is the "evolution" of this site, and it is evolving into the absolutely BEST place to be a part of on the WorldWideWeb. ...................Thanks Steve :wink:

Chainsaw said:
some homemade custom frames
Hey Is he talking about me. :lol: I think if you keep stretching you imagination in metal , the end result will be differant from the traditional. I got carried away at first trying to keep up with the ideas of others ,but i think no matter what direction your creativity takes you to ,that you will wind up back where you started. Im into restoring original bikes. I found in my search for outside the box the talent here is so great that they never even notice the box. To keep to a traditional type bike would stiffle the creativity that is allowed and appreciated by everyone here. If you like them you really like them and if you dont you can still see their vision. :roll:

Thanks for all the responses! For those of you who don't know me too well, I'm all about stretching the imagination. Every chance I get, I try to push the envelope of what I can do with what I've got on hand, Sometimes it works, sometimes it gets tossed on the recyclibles scrap pile. I try to inspire others to go a little carzy on their bike builds. And Gigs and I run the Freakbike Nation website/forum, along with Noggodnic's help and many other Freaks. So please don't think that I'm against other forms of customs, I live for them! It's just that, for me, I love to see what you guys can do to a stock frame without slicing and dicing it! I think I have to blame the past RRBBOs and many of the original members for spoiling me!

I have a specific vision of what this site means to me and when I see something different, I get a little worried about its direction. We have plenty of "Chop and Flop" type sites, but only one Rat Rod Bikes! No matter what you guys build, I'll be there slobbering and drooling with every thread that you post! And yes, sometimes there is a fine line between styles of bikes and I love every thinline about them.

Honest Abe's burrito bike is the perfect example of pushing the envelope of Ratdom, It almost looks like it belonged on the streets back 50 or more years ago. He managed to take a newer concept and do it with age and rattiness. It's quite possibly the most perfect example of modern ol' school.

So keep building what ever you have on hand and share your knowledge with all of us,
Imagination + fabrication = customization! And you're all good at that!
Chainsaw

I'm new to this site, and in a short time it has become my favorite spot on the web. I have been out of the loop for far too long with regard to bikes. Before I got my driver's license, I was obsessed with my bike. Since then, college, career and most importantly, family have taken over my life. Now I'm forty and have a little more time on my hands. After stumbling across this site, my passion for bikes has been rekindled. Even my daughters have developed an interest in different types of bikes! I don't have the tools or know-how of most of the guys on this site, but I feel right at home. I have gained an appreciation for all of the different types of bikes that are presented here. Nothing but positive interaction and acceptance from everyone. Please don't change a thing! :D

I agree with Chainy about some of the changes that have occured around here. But alot of people have arrived in the 10 mths I've been a member! I must admit that I throw up a little in my mouth when someone posts a blinged out lowrider! Maybe we need a section for that :idea: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Still the first site I go to first thing in the morning and last one before bed. My wife even ask's "Are you going to check post's?" :oops:
L8 EM

we do have a place for the other different bikes, its called other bikes, an that should be where they go, ya think. this is still the best forum around. i like the art that you are all doing, it's great.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

i have a bit of a different view these days we know what a "rat rod" car is and initially I think this site leaned more that way
but I look at it as this site has defined what "Rat Rode Bikes" are its similar to the car thing but different. You can buy a new bike with a similar design of one thats 50 years an older
.And while it has gravitated to old bikes and old parts this solid great community we have built here has attracted some of the most incredibly talented artists and builders out there. and each of those wild customs we see makes us push our limits of ideas.So it doesnt matter if joeblo from texarkana joins and builds a 63 Murray with fblack primer and whitewalls he feels at home beside the "Mad Skilz" guys and thats what its all about :)
I have been involved with many different online communities for a dozen years and never have I have came across a site where there has been ZERO ego issues.
basically what I am saying is I bet every builder of a wild ride would be honored to cruise beside joeblo :)
everyday is a buildoff here :)
so in a nutshell... (We) this community itself has defined "Rat Rod Bikes" and thats a good thing!
Rat Rod Bikes is an online community of vintage styled bike lovers with unmatched respect and pride for their fellow builders and riders :)
I see a wikipedia moment coming :)

ok done rambling and dont know if it even makes sense hahaha

and thanks to Steve(RatRod) for this great place!

Back