Changed to: How to respring a Brooks and make it comfy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok after doing extensive research with my Brooks Saddle I figured out what makes them so uncomfortable.

brooks.jpg

Its the stupid hard leather. Once its gone they are a little more comfortable.

brooks2.jpg

Re: Finally figured out what makes a" Brooks" so uncomfortable

I told you, just send it up to me and I will break it in. :D :D

All kidding aside, I have had my Champion Flyer for 2 months now and it just got comfy. I used Proofhide once a week for the first month. All I can say is ride, ride, ride. Did you actually dismantle it?

Uncle Stretch :D

I don't understand why you say they are so uncomfortable. Some people always have wide saddles and some people always have narrower saddles, did you choose a Brooks that was a different width to what you usually have? Also a wide saddle is better on a cruiser but a saddle that's not so wide is better on a diamond frame. With mine I have the back tilted down as the construction is different to my old Velo padded gel saddle where I had the back tilted up.

:D :D :D

My Brooks has improved a lot compared to the day I got it, two weeks and three days ago, and now is virtually the most comfortable saddle I have ever had, just slightly less, but only slightly, than the Velo I had on my cruiser before. The day I got my Brooks I thought there's no way I would ever say that!

I used Proofide on the day I got it again for the second time today.

:)

Ok it was just a joke. I saw a picture of a seat on ebay and it looked like i could make one like it . Hey if i can build a frame ,then a seat shouldnt be a big problem. After i looked at the picture of the seat it looked like i could use an old nonrefurbishable Brooks I had ,so I broke the leather off and started my project.

thought it would be funny if yall thought i tore up a brand new Brooks. :D :D so now all I need is a handful of springs and I'm good to go. Still have a problem paying $15 shipped for a can of proofide.

ef13_1.jpg

Well I got my springs added to my Brooks . So now the only thing left is to make a cover for it....Hummm finally a use for that pesky alligator on my land in Angelton. The spring holder I built got a little crooked . Couldnt figure that out but the springs are plenty tight.

rebuild.jpg

nice job ! i think the spacing may be off some on the spring attachment causingthe lopsided look but if itaint broke dont fix it at this point. :wink:

I added two more springs today, and its getting crouded . I took it to the upholster guy and he said $35 to build a cover for it. He wants to glue the material to the frame and springs. I checked about thick leather from Tandy's . they want you to buy 22 sq. ft. for $89 . Seemed a little like overkill to me.
Steve said it looks like the terminator after he got his skin burned off. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anybody know how to skin an alligator? :lol:

spr1.jpg

Back