chain guard on multi speed bikes.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havent personally done one , but i think it could work as long as u leave a notch around the front derailer. I would would put the bike in the highest gear so the derailers and chain is at its furthest point out and build the chain gaurd to clear everything . I would put mounting tab on the downtube and as far to the rear of the chainstay as possible because the chain will go beyond the front of the chainstays alot of time where they are narrower towards the front of the chain stay . All my info based on a top pull front derailer on a 24 speed bike.

It has been done for decades. The French have made some very ornate and beautiful ones.

Thanks everybody! i am planning an elaborate chain guard for at least one of my bikes and this is a good start.

c.p.odom said:
It has been done for decades. The French have made some very ornate and beautiful ones.
thanks. do you have any links or suggest a way i could see them?

The Simplex chain guards for sale attach to a Simplex front derailleur and move with the cage.

Back