Chain Bike build..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im building a chain bike :D Its somthing iv wanted to do for along time but last time i tried i couldnt get the galvanized chain i had to weld good. So i tried again but this time I wire wheeled the chain first. Was a pita but it welds good now. I know about the dangerous fumes it puts off i try not to breath it :roll: So Im using all parts i have around as always so hopefully i can scrape up enough pieces to get this thing done. my only concern with this bike is the strength. the two top bars seem pretty flexy. hopefully when its all together it will stiffen up. thats also why I made a socket for a seat post instead of extending the chain all the way up to the seat. Hopefully that will have enough strength. If not i can use a banana seat with a sissy bar. Anyhow this is my progress so far. Iv got lots of chrome parts so it should pull together nicely. Im making enough room in there to possibly run a motor in the future but i think itll be pedal powered for now. Crappy pics but itll do for now :D

ggg003.jpg

ggg005.jpg

ggg010.jpg

ggg011.jpg

ggg006.jpg

WOW!!!! Thats gonna be cool 8)

its pretty easy to weld up the chain. I laid it out on a piece of steel and just grounded to that. Point and shoot. just make sure it doesnt get funky each link as you go. I welded it just on the inside and bottom so to keep a clean look on the outside. I know about the billy bike and a guy on the mini-bike forum built one with small chain so i figured its doable
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/proje ... frame.html

I got the downtube and crank pipe as well as one of the rear braces welded in. looks great and coming along nicely

I think iv decided to install the engine. Certainly complicates things but hey what else is new. The biggest thing with that is the gas tank. Im thinking a custom triangle one right up in behind the neck. Itll also hide the coil. And if i build it like im imagining its gonna be alot of cutting and welding of whatever sheetmetal i can find thatll suit the bill I got the rest of the frame pretty much done today. But if i add the engine I think ill have to weld up the chain a bunch more in certain areas.

Looking GOOD! Is this the same size as a 20" stingray?

i kinda copied one of my 20" rollfast bikes but stretched it a few inches. the forks are from a 26" I think so that ads a bit too

finally made some progress on this bike! I was stuck because i couldnt decide if i wanted to use the motor on it. and if I didnt i wanted to do something else unique with it. So i decided against the motor because the frame is flexible enough without it. And I came up with this 2 speed setup. Two regular ratchets on the wheel one with a bigger sprocket. pedal backwards for low and pedal forwards for high gear. Works great! Only downside is I cant use a coaster brake. So now i can tear it down and finish the welding and paint it. Still expect slow progress but atleast the end is near. Sick of tripping over this thing lol

yeah it works fine and i was surprised the chain didnt fall off at all on the first test. The only strange thing about it is the bike wont roll backwards. the wheel just locks up. its not a problem just a weird observation.

that 2 speed idea is amazing,so the larger is free wheel as well as the smaller cog,just crossing up the chain on the bigger to make a reverse drive for a second forward speed,that idea is very clever

I love what your doing here, i am a member of OMB and Yellowhands creations are all amazing, i used his write up to make a set of chain bars i did for a MadMax bike a year ago, I cant wait to see it done, Looks amazing so far.

Back