Cha-Ching... American Pickers style

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been wanting to hit a few Estate sales just to see what I could come up with. And I was able to talk the wife into it...

So today, we load up and hit four different sales. Got a few decent bargains like a Metal Cooler for $2.50, some hand saws for $2, and my wife bought a neat picnic basket for $5.

At sale #3 it was 50% off day, mostly just picked over stuff, didnt seem like anything good left, Was prepared to leave empty handed but in the basement I found a box of Christmas ornaments, the glass ball types... Well we used to collect Hallmark ornaments so I was slightly familiar with a few of the old ones. At any rate I noticed that one of them was dated 1973, and the box was priced at $2.

So I picked up the whole box for all of $1 !!!

Got them home and found that four of the ornaments were fairly rare, come to find out... Hallmark started making ornaments in 1973! and I had two of them, one from 1974, and one from 1975. Did a little searching and found out these retail (as a group) for over $200 :shock: :shock:

Now I just gotta get them sold :D

Hope I dont break one :lol:

Nice score, now you need an Ebay account! I went to a garage sale last summer and got three Dale Earnhardt Sr. die cast cars 1:64 scale like hot wheels size still in the packages, he was asking $2 each for them so I got 3 of them for $5. The oldest is from 1970, the other 2 are 1981 and 1982.

I have seen newer ones from the same brand selling for $9 each so I don't know what these are worth.

outskirtscustoms said:
Nice score, now you need an Ebay account! I went to a garage sale last summer and got three Dale Earnhardt Sr. die cast cars 1:64 scale like hot wheels size still in the packages, he was asking $2 each for them so I got 3 of them for $5. The oldest is from 1970, the other 2 are 1981 and 1982.

I have seen newer ones from the same brand selling for $9 each so I don't know what these are worth.
I'll give ya $8 shipped :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Each?

outskirtscustoms said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Each?
All three :mrgreen: I'm just kidding, I have so many Earnhardt things :roll:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
All three :mrgreen: I'm just kidding, I have so many Earnhardt things :roll:

Yeah me too, not nearly as much as I had when he was living, after he died people got nuts so I sold a lot of stuff. I hate to capitalize off someone's death but when Richard Petty goes, god forbid, I'll cry my eyes out but I'll be rich!

outskirtscustoms said:
Nice score, now you need an Ebay account!

Ive had a eBay account since 1997 so no worries there.

I will post it on a few Ornament collector websites, And attempt to sell them outright. eBay fees are to stinking high!!! :roll:

Ratfink1962 said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Nice score, now you need an Ebay account!

Ive had a eBay account since 1997 so no worries there.

I will post it on a few Ornament collector websites, And attempt to sell them outright. eBay fees are to stinking high!!! :roll:

Yeah they do kinda nickle and dime you to death.

Jackpot... I went to the monthly flea market to sell some stuff, I did manage to sell a few things, but nothing exciting. I wandered around when the thing was about over and found a chrome chain guard for a old mini-bike. the seller had $6 on it, I picked it up and he said Ill take $5, I said sold!

Got it home and immediately put it on eBay, I started getting bombarded by emails and offers. needless to say I ended the auction early when I got a $300 offer. :shock: I was kinda curious as to what it would sell for, but I was happy with the offer.

Apparently this particular chain guard is pretty rare, they were only used in 1968 and 1969, and a lot of them ended up getting taken off and thrown away.

i hit an auction a few weeks back.

i purchased 3 boxes of junk for $15. the only item i really wanted in the box, was an oll/full/still in the box brass motorcycle fire extinguiser, but you wouldn't believe the stuff that was in there.
couple old composition dolls from the 40's,escape ladder, steamed bamboo cane (with silver fittings) lots of really old xmas stuff,full box of 22 hollow point shorts, nic nac's etc.
even a boxed set of noma xmas lights, so old, each tiny little bulb screws in and the entire string clips to a trainset like transformer.
2llyi6d.jpg

and of course the item i was willing to pay the $15 for. (for my next bike project)
i4lhlf.jpg

Back