Cervelo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
208690_10150220902830934_763205933_8666442_4331528_n.jpg

:shock: And they say carbon fiber is stronger than steel :lol: ......I'm sorry but I've never had the front end fall off my good old fashioned STEEL bikes 8)

"Back in the day" when I raced there were no carbon fiber bikes yet, and steel bikes failed regularly. Pushing the light weight limit takes risk.

Theres no way something this nice would be thrown away, but there are some rediculous people out there, So you never know. Check in with the Po-Po and find if theres any reports.

Graylock said:
TheFlyingDingo said:
That bike is worth more than my car,I'm certain.

You need to get a new car :roll: just saying.

Its soon, I'm sure. But, I will be keeping the car, I cannot let it go.

TheFlyingDingo said:
Theres no way something this nice would be thrown away, but there are some rediculous people out there, So you never know. Check in with the Po-Po and find if theres any reports.

I bet I can name 5 reasons the bike would get dumped

1. Wife was tired of her husband riding all of the time and dumped his bike.

2. Someone ditched out on their rent and left there stuff in the house (it happens)

3. Someone gave their bike to there kid to ride at college and it did not get taken care of and was forgotten.

4. More money than sence

5. Sometimes things just get abandoned

Just saying there are probably a lot of reasons something ends up at the dumpo other than theft. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, the most common reason is theft. Hope it's not but there's always that chance. Check with the fuzz just to be safe.

People throw away some of the nicest things...

buddy of mine picked up a Gravely Riding tractor with 52" deck, broom & trailer for free early last month (the owner upgraded). he cleaned the carb and sold it for $4k the next weekend.

Tailwinds said:
The bicycle subject of this thread is not a carbon frame. That particular model was aluminum.
Exactly this bike is Aluminum super light..well worth the 20 bucks.Want to double your money :lol:

Having been in the triathlon field for over 10 years I will say you definately scored. If you want to get top dollar I would part it out unless you want to replace the chain, rear cassette, and other rusted parts. The person who buys this bike from you most likely will not want rusty parts, and from my experience many triathletes dont have a clue when it comes to fixing their bikes. Parting it out will give you the best return for your time/money.

Just a quick conservative run down of what it might be worth on ebay if you were to part it out.

Behind the seat cages/mount -$35
Wheels - $75
Brakes - $35
Aero Bars - $50
Base Bar - $50
Bar End Shifters - $45
Brake Levers - $15
Frame/Fork -$200
Seat - $20
Crank - $45
Front Der - $20
Rear Der - $35
Stem - $5

So conservatively $630

Upon FURTHER inspection, jaydub and Tailwinds are right, it's aluminum. Lightest aluminum I've ever held....The area where the paint is flaking is powdery (Is that a word). It's like oxidation or hard water stains. As far as it being abandoned, it's very possible around "here". There are 5 colleges in my immediate area, that's why my bikes only last a day or two on craigslist. I am going to check with the police, just to make sure. I'm actually happier that it's aluminum, thanks Tailwinds and jaydub.
UH..I wonder what it would look like "ratted" out. :roll: :roll: ...I don't have a build off bike yet. :lol:

Its hard to rat that bike out ..but you can make it Raw.. This Trek had the same color blue paint that was flaking as well..
100_1157.jpg
100_1155.jpg

I personally would wet sand the spots that are peeling and go to a hobby store and buy some blue paint that is close in color and touch em up.. :D Or you could trade it to me for something I'm sure..? :wink:

Fisch said:
Curious what happened with this? I love the bike and the story of how you got it. I keep telling people about it but don't know how the story ended!
Well upon further inspection...The bike was just "worn" out. The chain ring was so worn, the teeth were so small that the chain kept slipping. Brake cables were all tattered and just mickey moused in place. Seat had three inch bolts holding it in place. Axle skewers were broken. Tires were worn, Derailleurs, cables, and the list goes on. This thing was just NOT maintained, by an amateur, nevermind by a professional. After doing research, I found that the bike sold for about $1600 NEW. I found several pristine bikes, same year, selling for $500. I'm sure this bike sat outside ALL winter. I can only imagine that someone brought it to a LBS and found out that it would cost them more than $500 to get this thing back to "good" running condition....I spoke to the guy I got it from. He said the person at the dump said that it was put in the trash, on the tree belt, sidewalk. If it were stolen, I doubt anyone would just put it out to be picked up. As you know Fisch, there are a lot of colleges around here. Mommy and Daddy probably bought "a' bike for their little boy, and when he left, he left it behind....Besides if it were stolen, the original owner would NOT have wanted this back....Anyway, a neighbor brought a friend over that likes road bikes. I gave it to him. He said he always wanted one of these, but couldn't afford one. Said he was going to put different bars on it. He didn't really care for those. So I said when you take the bars off bring them back to me. I know the pic of the bike looks GOOD...But it didn't show everything that was wrong about it. At least some guy, who always wanted one, has one now. The last time I spoke to him, he had ordered NEW chainring, chain, bearings, brakes calipers and cables and much more. Road bike people, being so picky, would have to have TOP quality parts put on...It would've cost more then the bike was worth.

Thanks for the update on this Kota! I am just seeing it. I was riding on the bike trail between Amherst and Hadley today with my daughter. She on her Rollfast banana me on my '74 Yamaha Motobike BMX. I saw alot of sweet bikes flying by, and it got me thinking of your Cervelo story. There seem to be no shortage of highdollar bikes in this area for sure! You'd think everyone who bought a house here got a free Specialized bike with it.

Anyway, what a great story and so cool of you to give it to your neighbor. Thumbs up!

Back