Century questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just acquired this Century badged Schw
CenturySchwinn011.jpg
inn from a friend. The serial number is B64468. It looks similar to a 38-39 BC 117 to me from a catalog I have, but I know nothing and can find little about Century's.

CenturySchwinn007.jpg

CenturySchwinn003.jpg

CenturySchwinn010.jpg

CenturySchwinn009.jpg

CenturySchwinn006.jpg

CenturySchwinn005.jpg

CenturySchwinn004.jpg

The bike has been hand painted poorly. The rear rack looks like an add on and the handlebars don't look right to me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I like! :wink: I think you are spot on with the date and model number. A "C Model" for short. Also, that frame looks like the small one. Prewar bikes came in 3 frame sizes, 16", 18"(standard) and 20". Measure from the center of the crank to the top of the seat post. Might be the pic angle but it looks like a 16" to me. Hope you have short legs. :p If it is a 16", that would explain the odd rack. A rack for 16" frame has a harder bend at the front and a standard rack won't sit at the right angle so might be a scarce factory rack.
The Century badge is just one of a hundred different ones that Schwinn put on prewar bikes. Before Schwinn went to the dealer system, any hardware store could order Schwinns with whatever badge they wanted. Gary

Gary - No, I don't have short legs............but I know what you mean! I just rode it for the first time yesterday and it did seem small..........I thought you were right on. But I am a big guy and it is a 18" standard when I measured it. I know a total restoration will be costly, but I think that will be my direction. I also collect antique race cars and have restored a few. The lower front fender on this bike has been bent out, like someone was trying to flare it. Would this model have had any flare?

Does anyone have info about the Century? Was it for a particular retailer in a certain part of the country? Or do we assume names like Cadilac, Packard, and Century were just used because they sounded like luxury autos, i.e. Buick Century?

Thanks to everyone for input!

Glad it's an 18". That will make a nice restoration. You don't see that many C models.
Just to give you an idea, here is a list of old Schwinn badges and the bike distributors that used them. Unfortunately, Century isn't on the list.
Gary

The following is a partial list of those jobbers, along with the name-plate
used by them :
Montgomery, Ward & Co., Chicago, ILL.
Wolverine Leather Co., Detroit, Mich.name-plate, "De Luxe."
Knapp & Spencer Hardware Co., Philadelphia; name-plate, "Black
Beauty."
Chas Oft, Dallas Tex.
Haverford Cycle Co., Chicago and Sioux City, la.
Marshall Wells Hardware Co.
Geo. Worthington, Cleveland, O. ; name-plate "Harvard" "Erie "
Annana Supply Co., High, la.
Wm Walker Co. Peoria ILL.
H. Kudie, Baltimore, Md.; name-plate,
Geller Ward & Hanson Co., St. Louis, Ardmore. Mo.
Tracy Wells & Co., Columbus, O. ; name- plate, "Excelsior."
City Supply Co., 56 Warren Street, New York City, N. Y.
Pritzlaff Hardware Co., name - plate, "Prize No. 5 Special."
Butler Bros., 375 Broadway, New YorkCity, N. Y.
Shapleigh Hardware Co., St. Louis,Mo.; name-plates, "Speed," "Ruby."
Wm. Frankfort Hardware Co., Milwaukee, Wis.
Witte Hardware Co., St. Louis, Mo. name-plate, "Witte Flyer."
Henkle & Joyce Hardware Co., Lincoln, Neb.
John S. Temgs and Son & Co., New York City; name-plate, "Excelsior."
A. Baldwin Co., New Orleans. La
W. B. Jarvis Co., Grand Rapids, Mich.
Kaufman Hardware Co., Pittsburgh, Pa.; name-plate, "Schenbey."
Spear & Co., Pittsburgh, Pa.
J. W. Grady, Worcester, Mass.
Van Camp Hardware & Iron Co., Indianapolis, Ind.
Hibhard-Spencer-Bartlett Co., Chicago, 111.

Back