centermount kickstand

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
n00b on site, ok, i have a dyno kustom kruiser frame with the old style standard kickstand.

wondering is it possible to switch to a center mount kickstand? is the tube the standard kickstand mounts into going to be in the way?

Thanks for any advice,
Chris

got it, kinda know what you mean, here's what i got, i can't find any good pics of bikes with them mounted to see how they work.

IMG_8899.jpg

It looks like there is a tube welded just in front of the rear wheel underneath; that would carry a sidestand similar to what some older Schwinns used. Ive no idea if the Schwinn stand actually fits it, but I understand the GT Dyno, and maybe the followup KK, were made in the same factory that made those 'later' model Schwinns. The above suggestion is likely good, but it would be nice if somebody has actually done one and had pointers.

Yeah, i'm wanting to go to the center stand for a few reasons, i like the way the bike looks on one, and it's function too, the problem with these kustom kruisers is, when you use the sidestand, the bars swing to one side or the other and the stem slams into the top tube nicking the crap out of it. which isn't the worst thing b/c i plan on putting a small foam pad there to prevent that or a piece of thick laminx film.

but if i can find a good machinist to drill it i'll gladly pay.

When you say the 'stem' slams the frame I think you mean the fork leg(s) hit? On my Dyno Deuce with the triple tree fork that would be the case, except I have a rubber bumper taped around the top tube at that contact point. Some have put the bumper pad on each fork leg to do the same thing.
If you drill that lower frame tube for the ctr. mt. stand you will likely need to do something inside the tube to be internal support to keep it from collapsing when you torque the stand bolt down. If I envision this correctly, drill it and test fit everything to be sure it is truly in the right place, then 'oversize the underneath hole to fit in a spacer, say, a piece of steel pipe (maybe a pipe nipple cut to just the right length), to take that load.
Too bad Im not in your 'waukee area or we could get 'er done. Maybe check with Lynn at http://www.custommotoredbicycles.com, she has skills and maybe the stand and is likely fairly close to you.

The center mount kickstand will turn and loosen when you kick it up if it is not seated into an opening in the frame. If you just have flat surfaces mating together,even with rubber in between them the kickstand will turn. Then you will be tempted to over tighten it with bad results.The spacer inside the frame hole will prevent crushing the frame,good idea.But it really needs to seat into something.If you go for it,consider the kickstand with both legs being adjustable in length.

crank you may be right it might be the top of the fork it's hard to picture right now b/c it's taken apart but it had two big nicks in the top tube on each side - not unpreventable this time around b/c i'll fig out a way to put a bumper on it or laminx the frame and put foam on the stem or fork.

clam really kinda talked me out of this, unless someone really competent thinks they can pull it off. it'd be a great feature to have esp for display.

crank you know any good airbrushers? i'm trying to decide what to put on the frame, i'm thinking a warm brown teak wood accent in areas, and maybe even have the fenders airbrushed to look wooden.

or red flames.

more advice welcome if anyone has it. thanks.
Chris

Back