CCM Slow Cold Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is the third CCM Duomatic frame that I've had and decided to make this one a project for myself. The others had nicer original paint and were sold, but this one needed a make over and to add variety to my little herd.
It dates from the early '70s and would have had 28" wheels and 2 speed kick back. This pic shows how I stored some parts before I blew her apart.
I'm working in a non heated work space and so stripped her down to bare metal with a chemical stripper and steel wool until my tender digits froze. I hit her up with a steel wheel a bit too and used a propane torch to soften the tuffer decals. The final finish will be decided as weather and funds allow.
...I put my 7 speed wheelset (from my build off bike King Bee) and a few more parts for mock up and ideas.
As most of my tools and locks were just stolen from this space, I moved the bike home for security.
The fork is a tall stemmed modern highbrid unit fitted with washers and spacers on top and Shelby trusses. I think this fork would lend itself well to a good Kato-bending on another build and I have a Monark springer that I've stripped bare and refreshed the hardware, but still need to get a weld repair before a test fit.
I'm not sold on the WFlyer tank, aluminum fenders or any rack yet (the Shelby is just ugly and the X53 is cool, but pretty rough compared to the frame)

I always like the bare metal look when I'm at this stage, but a single colour respray would also do wonders on this build with the copper/creme wheel combo.
I'll let the final finish idea stew for awhile until temperatures allow a safe top coat application and cure time.
Bare, Blue, Green, Grey, Burgundy, Black, Brown??????

Last edited:
I got the little weld done on the Monark fork and really like the way it looks on this frame. It seems I could use a little more threading on the steertube though or I may put this fork back on the bare metal Monark and try the Beehive, which could change the whole direction of the build in a big way if I keep drop outs reversed.
Now that the bike is home and most parts and some tools not, this process is going to take awhile.
The fender is just resting in the rear and the f/f are still raw.

Neat frame! I really like the clean & simple look of the narrow aluminum fender on the back. Perhaps less is more with this bike.

We all seem to be in agreement fellas.
Less is more, clear coat (as this is a super clean frame) try the thin hammered fenders again and keep the (a) springer.
I may try the Beehive, but the Monark looks so right on the CCM and I prefer the Beehive to extend the wheelbase on the old Monark.
kingbee051_zpsee532628.jpg

Do you recognise the wheels? I'm going 3 speed on this one, brown rubber and painted rims in spring.

Last edited:
In the previous message I left in this space I whole heartedly agreed that the Higgins beehive would stay on the Monark. :thumbsup:
Well...It turns out that I'm just a big fat liar! :blackeye:
I put the Monark fork (and Copper wheelset) back where it had lived for 65 years and transplanted the Beehive to the CCM.
The sprung saddle in the first pic was reassigned again as other builds evolve and parts swapped.
I am now left playing with my current best option and my only banana seat and sissy bar. I've been trying to find a place for it to settle for awhile.
I'm trying to whittle my way down to fewer bikes and this is one of 3 bare metal bikes that are currently making the final cut.
Just a couple more parts swaps and trial fits to come....

Last edited:
Another day, Another direction...
I swapped the wheels and tires and took my old hastily recovered leather off the old banana seat, shortened the post mount and am cleaning up the crusty top pan. I'll sleep on recovering the top or keeping bare.
Here are some pics from the days messin and with my other recently finished '41 CCM Rambler.

This build took another swerve in the right direction today.
I changed out the seat, bars and tires.
After recovering the banana seat in leather I wasn't feeling that into it, so fitted an old springer that's back in the rotation.

I put on a pair of old apes and a nice old mismatched pair of vintage rubber.
The wheelset is the heavy gauge spoked tandems. I will either change the rear sprocket or go with a 3 or 4 speed set up soon to lighten the load.
I like the speedy seat height adjuster and will swap out the Aluminum stem and butterfly stand down the road.

Somehow I missed this build in the past.
I always enjoy your builds because you aren't afraid of trying anything. There must be about 10 different versions of this build in this one thread. Glad to see you having fun with it. I really like the latest incarnation!

Thank You Gents.
This incarnation does have the most appeal to me as well. I finally found a good place for my only apes.
I started in the cold winter months so motivation and updates wained with the post lingering around page 3.
With the warm weather now here I've been going all out on a few projects.
My builds all started pre build off, so I'm just bangin' away on the little finishing projects on I have left.

Back