Cash Matthews - 70s Pro BMX Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cash.. welcome and glad to have you here!!! You never have enough cash!! It would be great to see pics of some early BMX's. Also some stories of early MX promoters and venues. Thanks!!!

Hey Friends!

What a warm welcome for an old has-been bmx racer.

There are moments in life when you realize that your time on earth has been richly blessed and I have those moments everytime I get near a bicycle. I found bmx quite by accident in a failed attempt to emulate my uncle, Jerry, who was my hero. He raced motorcycles and I wanted to be just like him. I used to go to his shop where he worked on his Flat Track racers and just sit on a bench and watch him for hours. To this day, the smell of shop grease, motorcycle fumes, and fresh rubber tires takes me back. My uncle is now 72. I had dinner with him two weeks ago and reminded him how much he has meant to me in my life. He floored me when he said, "Cash, you have always been one of my heroes in sports. What you did on a bicycle just amazed me." WOW! It may have just been good old fashioned "uncle talk" but hearing it from him directly was so meaningful. He has no clue where he sits on my totem pole of hero worship, but it is somewhere a little higher than my old friend Stu!

BMX happened by accident all over the world starting in the late 60's and really got going in the mid 70's. I was so fortunte to grow up during those times. Like lots of little kids, we were jumping curbs, ramps, and anything else we could get air from. This started around 1968 and by the time bmx was officially formed by 1974, we had lots of experience. BMX has meant so much to me for so long, it is hard to imagine how my life would have turned out without this sport. I have hours of fun stories to share if anyone is bored and wants to become even more bored!

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I feel this strange urge to go build and ride an old cruiser.....uh oh...

hello Cash and Welcome.....Parden my friend Clothespin n ...he will not wash his typing fingers for a week now...lolol :mrgreen: :D

When it comes to bikes and BMX Kev is the man around here...He taught me everything when it comes to bikes.

look forward to seeing some old pics

FW

I'll add to the Cash love fest...in addition to being one of our bmx legends, he is also just an all around good guy. When he got back into bmx racing a few years ago he didn't just go to the track and race, he got involved and helped his local scene big time. I spoke with Cash on the phone a few times (I got to give him and Phil Kelso some speed jumping tips), and I finally got to meet him and Phil at Rockford in 2003. He is a genuine, down to earth good guy. He's done very well for himself in both racing and business, but his head is not swollen one bit.
Good to see you on here Cash.
By the way...Cash's brother is named Cary. Think they took some ribbing in school? :mrgreen:

Welcome!

I heard from John at Bicycle Exchange that you were in town. I sold you a red Mongoose junker and a nice, black Mongoose Californian many years ago when I was first getting into collecting. I also attended the Greg Hill speed seminar in Austin a couple years back. You might also know me as Criscobath on Vintage.

Anyhow, good to see you found this site. There's lots of good people on here always willing to help w/ ideas and parts.

Best regards,
JMS

Cash has some stuff to sell if anyone is interested...

Email him direct if you want more info: [email protected]

SchwinnCruiser.jpg

RatRodWheelsRear.jpg

Latest posts

Back