casette gears hubs questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are cogs restoreable? I have several seized cogs. Are they trash? Are they interchangeable to any hubs? What type material hubs are made out of? Can I dry flim paint those gears?

uhhh that article ain't right, theres a tool to take off a freewheel, banging on the dust cover with a punch is not gonna do it... :lol:

4478.jpg

That park tool site has all kinds of online repair manuals that'll list the tools you need to do the job. Between that and Sheldon Brown's website pretty much all ya need for free.

I spray some WD-40 around the front and back of the cassette near the axle. Work the gears back and forth a little and they usually free right up. It's worth a shot before tearing them down. :wink:

Thank you guys. I read the article that said most of time seized gears are caused dirt that jammed them and suggested to washing with solvent might will do trick but I wondering wouldn't it also wash grease out too. Wd-40 sound better. Most of my gears sat in the leaves outside for many years might need overhaul.

Those old freewheels can be a beotch to rebuild, lots of bearings inside. Better to try flushing it first, let it dry, then maybe some spray in some grease.

Back