Cargobikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming half year or so I'll be designing a cargo bike for a major bike company in Holland (30,000+ bikes a year) that is to be brought on the market in 2013. Meant for transporting kids to school, groceries, etc. Two wheeled, cargo in front of rider but behind front wheel.

I have complete control over the frame, the cargobox and the styling.
Putting parts on it when that is done is someone else's task.

As reference, I'm talking about these kind of bikes:

302me5u.png

118n5vp.jpg

I hope to do a bike that has some references to old bikes and I'm looking for inspiration regarding to styling. I hope that I can tap a bit from the extensive knowledge and picture collections that some of you guys have. :D

If you have pictures from old, cool, or awesome cargobikes, please post them! Anything is much appreciated, ideas or comments just as much as photos. Thanks! :D

i've been experimenting with couple, but they're the longtail style and i started with mountain bikes. interesing though. i want to try a front loader but i need a little more know how and a firm idea first.

Here's one. Handmade by the 19 year old kid learning to weld down the street. He didn't have room to keep it so I bought it from him and use it to get groceries and beer all summer.

cargo002.jpg

iamrik said:
Coming half year or so I'll be designing a cargo bike...I'm looking for inspiration regarding to styling. I hope that I can tap a bit from the extensive knowledge...

I would recommend NOT looking at bicycles at all. Ignore what you've already seen in the bike world and look for inspiration in other things: motorcycles, furniture, bridges, boats, tents, spaceships, roller coasters, skeletons, etc... This will inspire your creativity and help ensure your idea will be unique and truly original and you won't be accused of just lifting ideas from other people's bikes and grafting them onto your project.

I make cargo bikes and racks for bikes. I almost never look at other people's designs, especially when I'm brainstorming. It's like listening to someone else's music to inspire you to write a song or something. If you're a good designer, your own imagination will lead you to creative styling and valuable contribution.

Guys, thanks for the great replies!

rubblequeen said:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/725660@N22/pool/with/3635552395/

Try this link, not sure it's going to be much use as all old British bikes but who knows . Keep us posted as to how you progress.

Great resource.

Georgeediii said:
Here's one. Handmade by the 19 year old kid learning to weld down the street. He didn't have room to keep it so I bought it from him and use it to get groceries and beer all summer.

cargo002.jpg

That thing is huge!

FunkyStickman said:
You're familiar with CETMA cargo bikes? Not sure about styling, but he's got some cool features on his bikes you might be interested in.

http://www.cetmacargo.com

cman said:
FunkyStickman said:
You're familiar with CETMA cargo bikes? Not sure about styling, but he's got some cool features on his bikes you might be interested in.

http://www.cetmacargo.com

+1 maybe you could license bi-partible frame. Great feature to allow easier shipping.

Yes, well aware! Quite different from what we're doing here, but a beautifully simple bike!

aka_locojoe said:
http://theprudentcyclist.com/2012/02/cargo-cruiser-update-frame-on-a-jig/

8)

Lane Kagay said:
iamrik said:
Coming half year or so I'll be designing a cargo bike...I'm looking for inspiration regarding to styling. I hope that I can tap a bit from the extensive knowledge...

I would recommend NOT looking at bicycles at all. Ignore what you've already seen in the bike world and look for inspiration in other things: motorcycles, furniture, bridges, boats, tents, spaceships, roller coasters, skeletons, etc... This will inspire your creativity and help ensure your idea will be unique and truly original and you won't be accused of just lifting ideas from other people's bikes and grafting them onto your project.

I make cargo bikes and racks for bikes. I almost never look at other people's designs, especially when I'm brainstorming. It's like listening to someone else's music to inspire you to write a song or something. If you're a good designer, your own imagination will lead you to creative styling and valuable contribution.

Glad you joined in! While we are both in the business of transporting stuff/kids on bikes, the market here in Holland is entirely different from yours. The requirements and expectations are vastly different and you won't see the bike I'm doing being sold across the pond as it just wouldn't make sense there.

I agree with you, up to a point. Inspiration will come and does come from anywhere. But, it can also come from bikes.

Furthermore, all the progress that has been made in the last 90+ years on cargo bikes is hard to ignore. There is much to learn from the mistakes others have made. This is not a painting or sculpture we're making, we're solving problems for real world use. A solid knowledge of what is on the market today and what faults these bikes have (and of course, what they do right!) is a very valuable resource.

Also, I'd like to know before I start that what I'm doing hasn't been done before. :)

As far as lifting other peoples ideas... while I think it is impossible to prevent completely (we are, after all, talking about a bike with two wheels and a place to put some cargo), it's of course not a good thing to do!

Ive been itching to make a seat area for my dog. This is a fantastic idea. I frequently go to the beach for long rides but I find myself leaving my pup cause I dont want her to run all day, plus shes a lil buck nutty around me when im on a bicycle. lol. (fallen many times!)

Mel

Lane Kagay said:

It's good to see you signed up here, Lane. I pointed him in your direction because I greatly respect your work, and your bikes have given me inspiration as well. Not trying to get him to rip you off, by any means.

I'd love to build one of your bikes in flat black, with whitewalls and pinstriping everywhere. It would definitely be unique. Absolutely no disrespect meant, sorry if it came off that way.

I love looking at old stylized bikes for ideas, old Spaceliners and who knows what else. I wouldn't try to copy one, but I love new bikes/cars that use retro styling cues.

Back