"Cardboard bicycle can change the world, says inventor"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read about this in the news. Not only does the guy have a great idea, but seems like his heart is in the right place. Something about due to the grants he can receive because the entire bike is recyclable that he hopes to offer it for free to poor countries so that everyone can enjoy biking. Thats a good guy in my book regardless if it happens or not.
The article also stated that the bikes will be for sale to the general public for 20.00. I would buy one for 20.00...lol So I did some more research and it looks to me that what he meant was that again due to the grants he will receive from his country he doesnt need to charge to make or have these bikes made, but that he figures retailers will charge 20.00 for their cut. Thats in his country. Im sure if or when these cardboard bikes make it to our side of the pond it will be somewhere between 100-200.00 for our wonderful taxes, and shipping costs and of course retailers will have to mark up 300% or it just isnt worth it to them...lol

Gotta love Reuters copy
"He is an amateur cycling enthusiast..."
You're either a professional cyclist an amateur cyclist or a cycling enthusiast. (or possibly amateur bike builder?)
Seeing as there's no such thing as a professional cycling enthusiast I don't see how you can be an amateur one.

CeeBee said:
Has it occurred to anyone that other than tires and the seat there is only about $9.00 of actual material cost the average steel bike? And its recyclable as well.....

Maybe, but I bet the corrugated cardboard can be formed and assembled locally by a warehouse of unskilled laborers (farmers who can't farm any more) with low tech tools.
Where as to bend and weld steel tubing in a way that's strong enough in mass production you need a lot of relevantly expensive equipment and technically skilled workers.

Just what we need. One more disposable anything. Recyclable? What a load of crap. That means it'll last for a very short time, and then go to a landfill with all the other paper and cardboard waste. Steel, or aluminum can be melted down and re-used. And would you trust your body to a paper bicycle at 30 mph? Your skin and bones recycle themselves, but not without a lot of pain.
I not impress

JWM

I wonder how cardboard bikes do in the rain? Gary

In the article he states that he submerged one in a tank of water for 30 days with no ill effects. There is even a video somewhere showing him do it to a frame piece and then after time laps pulling the piece out and it doesnt appear to have weakend.

Not the best looking bike, but I give the guy probs for "thinking outside the box" :p

jwm said:
Just what we need. One more disposable anything. Recyclable? What a load of crap. That means it'll last for a very short time, and then go to a landfill with all the other paper and cardboard waste. Steel, or aluminum can be melted down and re-used.
JWM

It would be shredded like the rest of the recycled paper and cardboard to make......(hold your breath) PAPER and CARDBOARD.

Yes I would trust my body to a well engineered carboard bike. The packaging engineers where I work design storage and moving containers from carboard that hold thousands of pounds.

Back