capping your 20 inch wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this will only work on 20 inch wheels only im working on something for 24s and 26s keep an eye out for that

the art of adding hubcaps to bicycle wheels. this is the how to.

mag wheel designs are too limited,deuces cost to much,show gos short lived and limited in design,billets cool but you can buy some decent tools for the money.

i did this back in 2002 with my ex girlfriends hubcaps after i got her spinning ones for her Bday i pretty much walked into it the originals were bad, the condition of the hubcaps werent that great to begin with, and they were ziptied.some people saw the scrapper and asked how to do it. now that im equipped with the proper tools and knowledge i decided to tackle it again.
c70d9372.jpg

youll need some tools

SAFETY GLASSES!!!!!!!!
dremel with cutoff wheel
drill
holesaw kit
10/32 drillbit
10/32 1-1/2 screws and nuts or endcaps with spacers(personal preference endcaps and spacers for better fit)
hubcapspay attention to step 1NOTE:20 inch wheels youll need 14 inch hubcaps
wheels NOTE:if its coaster this will pose a clearance issue on the brake arm side depending on the hubcap
lets begin
step 1
youll need a decent 14 inch hubcaps evilmart sells them for about 15 bucks a junkyard could have them cheaper but the finish might be damaged and or could be missmatched. the trick is to have the hubcap dome so that the top fits on the hub and the edges sink into the rim
bd51620a.jpg

5728b9ad.jpg

step 2NOTE:SAFETY GLASSES
holesaw the center.
step3 NOTE:SAFETY GLASSES
take the dremel with cutoff wheel and level the cap as low as possible, dont have a dremel you can try the pain in the ... method of handsawing them off.
4a176e09.jpg

till you have this you can test fit them on your wheel to get the tightest fit since no wheels are made the same(my test wheel is a 144 spoke dummy wheel)
dd7d49fd.jpg

7737757a.jpg

f1b09cae.jpg

step 4
drill the hubcap with the 10/32 bit or equivalent the less screws and bolts the better 3 works the best but since this is a 5 spoke cap drill 5 around the edge.
step5
bolt hubcaps to wheelNOTE:make sure your tires are filled with air youll have to take the caps off to fill them if you dont
once bolted the edges sink into the rim if youre having problems you might have to notch the cap so that they can slightly bend
9918ff19.jpg

step 6 mount and enjoy the cruiser is far from done
c7cd7436.jpg

a7810750.jpg

ive seen your checkered bike before on bikeforums and always wondered where the caps came from.

no we know !!! thanks

(add it to the how to please cman!)

Very cool, you could be onto something here. You should mass produce them and make some money off of us lazy folks that like the idea but will never take the time to do it! Great idea!

Back