Cantilever Phillips?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been eyeing this bike on my local CL for a while now. I am into british bikes and Phillips is one of my favorites. :)
I am just a little iffy about buying it because I have only seen a few british bikes with this frame style. Also I hate the derailer stuff, if I got it I would give it a Sturmey Archer hub and make it a 3 speed.
Opinions appreciated. :)
http://spokane.craigslist.org/bik/3316365862.html

So just an update I came home with the bike today. Talked him down to $50. So far great bike, looks better in person. :)

I think you got a decent price on that bike. Very cool frame.

Here is a pre-Raleigh Phillips Manhattan cantilever that I picked up this year. It's a cool bike, but I like the twin top tube design of your frame better.

WP_002000.jpg

I think those twin top tube frames were made by Hercules just before they were bought out by Raleigh. They also made the Hawthorne version, same thing. The one I have and the ones I've seen seen are all 3 speed models. That one still has some of the brackets used for the 3 speed cable on it, so it originally was a 3 speed.

I am planning on converting it back into a 3 speed or at least a 1 speed.
My only issue is that the bike came with tires larger than normal, they are 26 x 1.90 Cheng Shin tires. I really would like to keep them, can I put a 3 speed hub on this tire?

The original 26 x 1 3/8 was a skinny tire that came with that bike, slightly taller than those you have. Do the brakes contact the rims properly, with a good contact between pads and rim? The 3 speeds all came on the 1 3/8 rim back then, which won't take the standard 26 " tire. But 3 speed hubs can be laced to your rim, or one just like it. Or just buy the whole wheel already made up, shifter and everything you need, 26 x 1.75 rim. A coaster brake 3 speed hub would be good too, no hand brakes needed. A good brand is Nexus. Another idea would be a 2 speed automatic wheel, no cables or anything needed, you pedal to shift back and forth. Sturmey Archer makes them.

edit: I took a closer look, the brake pads don't reach the rim, they are contacting the tire, which is wrong. The smaller size wheels (in height) is below what the brakes will adjust down to.

The brake pads do reach the rims. The tires are not a problem on the bike. My only issue is the rear hub, I need to switch it out for a 3 speed or something as simple. I was just wondering if it was possible to switch the hub and still keep the rims and treads.

Aluyasha said:
The brake pads do reach the rims. The tires are not a problem on the bike. My only issue is the rear hub, I need to switch it out for a 3 speed or something as simple. I was just wondering if it was possible to switch the hub and still keep the rims and treads.
as long as you find a hub that has the same number of spokes as the rim then you can lace them together. You may need to get spokes of a different length depending on the hub you choose.

I would look around for a cheap girls bike with the 3 spd SA hub and it will likely already have those English rims, E3's I think (too late to think). Then put the complete set on. I bought a cheap Columbia with 1 3/8 rims and 3spd, don't think it was SA but it had brand new tires. I think I paid $7. I yanked the tires for a single speed project. Also I see the 1 3/8 single speeds around a lot lately. They seem to all be the same brand which I can't remember but they are always a dull green or brown with yellow and reddish-brown stickers.

ozzmonaut said:
I would look around for a cheap girls bike with the 3 spd SA hub and it will likely already have those English rims, E3's I think (too late to think). Then put the complete set on. I bought a cheap Columbia with 1 3/8 rims and 3spd, don't think it was SA but it had brand new tires. I think I paid $7. I yanked the tires for a single speed project. Also I see the 1 3/8 single speeds around a lot lately. They seem to all be the same brand which I can't remember but they are always a dull green or brown with yellow and reddish-brown stickers.
I was thinking of doing that. There is a guy I know that has a women's green Raleigh Sports for $30. Just have to convince someone to drive me (he lives about 1 hour 45 mins away). :)

Shimano EA3 3-spds are pretty common and will work, in some ways they are better than certain models of SA hub, though certainly not equal in terms of precision fit or material quality. :| The rims are usually better on bikes with SA as well.

deorman said:
I like the setup on there now myself, although it looks like it needs a little more chain, or just lose the large front ring (if possible).
Unfortunatly I cannot remove the larger ring, it is the main part, the add on is the smaller ring behind it. I can set the chain on the smaller ring though. :)

Wildcat said:
I think those twin top tube frames were made by Hercules just before they were bought out by Raleigh. They also made the Hawthorne version, same thing. The one I have and the ones I've seen seen are all 3 speed models. That one still has some of the brackets used for the 3 speed cable on it, so it originally was a 3 speed.

x2
mine was the hawthorne version, 700c or 27's should fit and work with short reach brakes

Latest posts

Back