cant remove my front fork.. to rusty!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a Schwinn panther im trying to restore. cant get the front fork apart way to rust, ive uses vice grips on the top bolt and it wont budge.. and the flathead screw on the bottom of the fork wont budge either any tips?

Vice grips will 9 times out of 10 slip and round off the bolt. As far as the fork itself goes I normally use channel locks and WD-40 and I have never seen one I can't break free with a little bit of grunt. Do you have the stem and handlebars out of it yet? If all that doesn't work try to get some kind of heat to it. A propane torch works great for that.

For the fender bolt make sure you have the right screwdriver tip that fits it snugly, WD-40 the snot out of it, and if you can't get it then use a grinder and remove it and use a self tapping screw for the fender. :mrgreen:

I just went through this yesterday. I sprayed PB blaster and let it sit and work. Then I used a propane torch to heat and used channel locks to break it free. It came right apart after that.

Another thing to try is to pour some vinegar on the threads and let it sit, the vinegar will loosen the rust. Takes a while to soak though. Or just bring it over and I'll get it off of there....or trade you out of it... :lol:

I got the long bolt from the stem out but that's the only thing I could get out.. I cant loosen the nuts to tap the stem out and I can get the fender stay out :p maybe il just bring it by somtime outskirt:p yeah man just PM me an address and a time and ill letcha know when im free

Man that was a rusty one! Probably one of the worst ones I've seen in a long time. Still no match for the grinder! :mrgreen: Now you can "Get to buildin'!"

Back