Canadian Newbie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, My name is Amy. I live outside of chicago but am originally from Canada. My grandpa was going to thtrow out this old 1940's ccm female bike but i got it before he could and want to restore it. I never done anything like this but I can't bare to watch such a nice bicycle sit in my garage collecting cob webs and rust. I joined this forum to learn about how I will restore this bicycle. Nice to be here!! :mrgreen:

Amy

Re: Got a 1946 CCM women's bike

welcome, i don't know how to get rid of it. i just start wire brushing it off whatever is on the bike in my drill and wear a resperator an googles an go to town with it. i know i am a bad bad boy. post some pic of your new ride. you could just leave it on an go rat.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Re: Got a 1946 CCM women's bike

I actually started to do that and then thought hmmm...lead paint... then checked out some info online. Being as toxic as it is I don't want to die restoring an old bike. Thanks for your advice though!

hello AmyG !!! nice to have ya hear and good luck on the rebuild !! chemical stripper is the way to go, but it stings your eyes skin and fumes are pretty tear-jerking, still better than breathin in lead dust, that takes a bit longer to shake off ! :mrgreen:

Welcome!

Hi Amy, and welcome to the site. Being a guy who likes to fix stuff there's some information below to get you started, I hope it's not too much:

When using a respirator, be aware they come with different levels of protection. Most of the retail varieties are rated at N95, meaning they filter 95% of the common particulates. You can get N100 or P100 respirators on ebay or online allergy sites which filter 99.97% of common particulates. The latter should work well for manual sanding, and if you want even more protection just wrap a bandana around the outside of the respirator when wearing it. Plus, IT LOOKS COOL!

If you use a chemical solvent you'll want to go to the next level of protection which is the half or full mask respirator with interchangable filters on each side. Be sure to check that the particular model is rated for vapor protection. This will also come in handy if you decide to paint the bike yourself. Home Depot carries these but you'll pay more there than if using ebay or google shopping.

Using eye protection when sanding wouldn't hurt either, nothing to report there.

You may want to consider wearing latex gloves so the paint doesn't get under your fingernails. I use them when sanding or removing a greasy chain just because it makes cleaning up a heck of a lot easier. You can get latex gloves at any major retailer. And with lead paint, be sure to sweep and dust the area afterwards so all the lead is removed.

Back