Can I possibly make this cool? Should I?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Try not to laff too hard. I've passed on this bike three times this week already because of the price, but I keep going back to it and holding my hands up in front of my eyes much like a director would when envisioning a scene for a movie.

It is a girls (obviously) Kent bike. It just hit the floor of the local thrift store this week, with a price of $25. If it had ANYTHING good on it, like tires, I would have picked it up already, but they are pretty much shot. Nothing worthwhile, plain grips and seat (which I think is torn) BUT:

What keeps drawing me back is the frame. After I saw it I looked in a couple stores and haven't seen anything quite like it. I think it's an interesting design. Imagine it in the typical flat black with red wheels and whitewalls, with either a set of mini apes or (I think) cooler still, a set of bars like you would find on an old English 3-speed. Then put on a laid back bmx seat post that would put your butt right over top of the rear wheel, maybe even a small banana seat with a cut-down sissy bar? Instant wheelie machine!

Should I do it? Or should I wait for a cheaper one? I was hoping to hit one of those half off sales they have sometimes, but no luck so far. Maybe I'll just go get it and tell people I got it for $12. Wish some little rug-rat hadn't worn out the tires, I'd pay $20 just for them...

kent1.jpg

kent2.jpg

OK, I got it, against my better judgement. :) Still don't feel all warm and fuzzy about it, but I'm gettin' there!

Here's what I was able to do with it in a half hour with parts that were within arms reach. Still a work in progress, but I think it'll be cool...

Just try to imagine it without all the flowers n' junk:

kent3.jpg

kent4.jpg

Ok, it looks great so far, so now I would go with a chrome or aluminum sprocket, a rear fender like on a muscle bike and, put the chain guard back on paint it flat black and red pin stripe it to death. Maybe add a springer fork and go with the Mini Apes.

Nice job! Paint that fork orange or black. Add some apes and... Get ta buildin'!! Peace

Latest posts

Back