can I add a suspension front end to this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add a modern triple tree style suspension front end to this 1954 JC Higgins? What are the variables? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am hoping to give it a motorcycle look.

photo.php

I am rethinking the front suspension fork. Maybe I will just put some 3" tires on it. I just got this on ebay. I don't have the bike yet. What are my tire options? Can I put 24" wheels on it with 3" tires? I don't know anything about Higgins bikes....do I have any options?

did you get my responce? it should work fine it did on "the higgins"

To see if the 3" tires will fit, measure the width of the forks and rear dropouts, you'll need about a half inch of room on both sides of the tire, so that would be about 4 inches wide. You might get by with 3 1/2 inches of width if the wheel is perfectly straight. Fenders might be a problem also. If you are measuring for 26 x 3", factor in the extra diameter too, it may fit between the dropouts and fork blades, but rub the top of the fork or frame up by the kickstand.

A 26 x 2.35" tire might be the way to go.

I was watching that one on ebay. Just my opinion, but if you do anything other than clean, lube, tune, and ride it, it would be a crime. That one is in too nice of an original condition to start swapping out parts on. Somebody back me up on this. I like better your idea to just put on as fat a tire as you can and ride it. This bike will get plenty of looks and attention without having to do any mods.

I'm not so sure the sheet metal is original to that bike. I could see swapping some parts, but I personally would hold on to anything I took off. I wouldn't paint it, or bend it, but the world will still spin either way. :wink: In all likelihood, If I had it, I'd get a narrower seat and long post, take the sheet metal and put it in the closet, lube the works, and keep air in the tires. Then again, that's what I always do. :roll:
That, and switch tires and handlebars back and forth a few times. :lol:

no he emailed me wanting a front end like that i did on the higgins. basicly it is simple other than some take a 1 1/8 cup but a 1 1/8 steer wont pass through the frame so you have to get reducers to use a 1" headset and a 1" steer fork.

Back