Can anyone help me with schwinn dx?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, from Argentina. I have founded a dx schwinn frame with heart-pattern skip-tooth crankset and feather style chain guard. The number in the pedal crank housing is 78. No letters, just 78. And I have founded the same number 78 in the little arm that supports the chain guard in the backside of the bicycle. I would like to know the year of the frame, to look at the catalog and try to restore the bicycle finding the missing parts. Sorry if my english is not well. And thank you very much for your help.

Welcome Gabriel. Can you post pictures with Photobucket? Don't worry about your English, It's good enough. Some of us that live here in the USA don't even speak or spell it as well as you.

GabrielDX said:
Hi, from Argentina. I have founded a dx schwinn frame with heart-pattern skip-tooth crankset and feather style chain guard. The number in the pedal crank housing is 78. No letters, just 78. And I have founded the same number 78 in the little arm that supports the chain guard in the backside of the bicycle. I would like to know the year of the frame, to look at the catalog and try to restore the bicycle finding the missing parts. Sorry if my english is not well. And thank you very much for your help.

There should be more numbers on the crank housing. Unless the crank has been replaced with a newer 1978 model crank. Generally there would be no matching numbers on two areas of the frame. A DX should have the serial number underneath the bottom bracket, which I believe is the crank housing you are referring to. Either way, there should be more numbers. You may have to clean or remove paint to see the numbers, if there is evidence of repaint. There were other bikes similar to the Schwinn DX, but assuming it is a DX, there's a complete serial number somewhere on there. If it is a later model, there may be a serial on the rear dropout where the rear axle bolts into, but then there would be no serial under the crank. If the crank looks original, you could possibly remove it and find a code that dates the frame. But as stated above, pictures work best. There are some knowledgable folks here and a pic can give some of them everything they need to identify your bike.

First you have to determine if it is a prewar (pre 1942) or postwar (after 1945). Does the rear axle drop out towards the rear or towards the front? Does the rear end of the feather chainguard attach to a welded tab on the frame or does the end of the chainguard wrap around the seat stay with a clamp?

The DX (model D37X) came plain or equipped with light, tank, and rack. You could also get a spring fork as an option. They were always painted in 2 colors. Gary

Thank you very much to everybody. I will post some pics as soon as possible to help you help me.

Hi Gary. The rear axle drops out towards the front. But there's no kick stand. The rear end of the feather chainguard attaches to a welded tab on the frame. There's no original paint, but it has a horrible green and blue paint in all over the frame,rims and seat post..
Next comment will be with pics. Thanks again.

It's a post war for sure with those dropouts. I may be wrong but I think all DX bikes had welded kickstands. Are you sure you don't have a Tornado? Gary

Gary, I have bad news. I removed paint on the frame. the number of the bottom bracket was deleted. The kickstand was removed because I can see the rest of the welds smoothed in the frame. But I can see one "F" in the bottom braket. So I now looking the date code file to find the years whith "F" between 1946 and 1951. I think that 78 is a new id that some _____ marked on the frame in 1978. But the rest is in good condition. You know, I'm too far away from the rest of Schwinns, and finding something at the end of the world is like a miracle. I must make do with what I find around here. Thank you.

Thank You RatSphinx for being there. You are "buena onda". Gary. I'm in Buenos Aires Argentina. When I talk with people here about "Schwinn" they say -¿... is Schssjbslk?- haha.

In can see a very light F, so that's enough for me, to go on with proyect. I saw in ebay that a guy is offering the entire kickstand with a part of the frame. So I'll be buying it.

Let me show you the machine.
http://www.construcsur.com.ar/imagenes/dx/dx%20002.jpg

"78"
http://www.construcsur.com.ar/imagenes/dx/dx%20008.jpg

The missing kickstand
http://www.construcsur.com.ar/imagenes/dx/dx%20009.jpg

And let me show you "My pride and joy" 1948 Schwinn D37X. My first work.
http://www.construcsur.com.ar/imagenes/ ... %20003.jpg

Thank you again for reading.

Gabriel

Greetings from Austin, Tejas

I think your bike is made between 1946 and 1952 and in the month of June.

The letter F stands for the sixth month - A =Jan, B + Feb, etc.

The NEXT number after F would tell you the year, if you can see it at all or even make out what it ISN'T maybe that would help. It can't be a 3 or a 4 if my deductions are correct.

In 1946 Schwinn began the front-facing rear dropouts.

In 1953 they moved the serial numbers to the left rear dropout.

Perhaps others can tell more. The 78 number may be like you say - the year the bike was modified by it's owner.

Those foam grips covering the whole handlebars were popular in the early 1980s, as was that color that someone went too far with.

I'm not sure where you are saying you saw the 78 number, but on the crank itself there may be a number.

The clamp that holds the seat tube looks genuine - self locking bolt with a shape like the letter D. Does it have the letter AS on it?

All in all that's a very good find even for the USA. LOoks like you know what you are doing - the ladies bike is beautiful. SOon you can have a matched pair, no?

I have had the good fortune to attend the film festival in Buenos Aires ten years ago and fell in love with the city and the people there who have such courage and spirit. i wish I could visit again! Best of luck with the DX
via con dios
kenter

Girls Schwinn is beautiful. I think you can do the same with the boys bike. Have you looked at the left rear dropout for a serial number? Gary

Hi Gary. The number is not there. It was in the bottom bracket, but it's not there any more. I'll try to read it anyway, but i dn't know how to do it yet. I'll write here when i have news. Thanks to all for reading.

Hello Kenter. Thanks for your words. I only founded caring and friendly people in this forum. Yeah, I wanna have the matched pair. It will be expensive, but i'll try. The parts are not the problem, but i can't say the same wth the shipping and taxes costs. :(

Does anybody knows which is the correct head badge? In the head, i've got two little holes, side by side.

The missing kick stand tells me that the bike is pre 1946. In 1946, Schwinn started using their patented "built in" kick stand. Prior to that they were bolted on. So you're between the built in kick stands and the front facing dropouts. That should narrow the gap for you.

I also thing that some one along the way has replaced the Schwinn chain ring with something from a bike other than a Schwinn.

Once you get it to the point where you want it, you'll have a dynamite looking pair of bikes.

Ed

GabrielDX said:
Does anybody knows which is the correct head badge? In the head, i've got two little holes, side by side.

I'm not sure what badge has the holes side by side. All my Schwinn badges from that time period have the hole on top and bottom. Someone on the forum will have a badge that will work. Gary

Back