Can anybody help me with this please????!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my next build. It's a 1950 panther straight bar. If you look at the rear wheel it lines up perfectly with the head tube, the problem is you can see the top right down tube is bent and it's pulling the seat post tube to the right. The rim is perfectly centered with the bottom bracket and the lower tubes, the problem is I was going to run a free wheel and a handbrake but the wheel being so off-centered in the top tubes, it does not allow the brake to line up correctly. Is this issue common with these old Schwinn frames, or does this thing look bent? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_022256054.jpg
    PXL_20240414_022256054.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240414_022232068.jpg
    PXL_20240414_022232068.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240414_022214025.jpg
    PXL_20240414_022214025.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Here's another pic of my issue...

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_031550790.jpg
    PXL_20240414_031550790.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
So this is my next build. It's a 1950 panther straight bar. If you look at the rear wheel it lines up perfectly with the head tube, the problem is you can see the top right down tube is bent and it's pulling the seat post tube to the right. The rim is perfectly centered with the bottom bracket and the lower tubes, the problem is I was going to run a free wheel and a handbrake but the wheel being so off-centered in the top tubes, it does not allow the brake to line up correctly. Is this issue common with these old Schwinn frames, or does this thing look bent? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
It's definitely bent somewhere, but I can't tell without getting a better look at it. It may be the lower section that's bent. One dropout seems higher than the other.

This might work:

On the floor or flat surface, draw a straight line about 4 feet long with a line perpendicular at one end, exactly 90 degress to the straight line.

Take the wheel out and set the frame on the flat surface, resting on the bottom bracket and following the line you drew.

Are both dropouts touching the surface with the bottom bracket sitting completely flat?

Does the headtube look vertical or is it slanted left or right?

With the ends of the dropouts square to the perpendicular line, does the frame follow a straight line?

I think a chain stay adjustment is all it needs, but that's just a guess. These old Schwinn frames are steel, so corrections may be made that work well.

If it's a chainstay that's bent, it can be adjusted.

@Wildcat int he second pic the chain stays look way off, I'm guessing that is where the issue starts

It's definitely bent somewhere, but I can't tell without getting a better look at it. It may be the lower section that's bent. One dropout seems higher than the other.

This might work:

On the floor or flat surface, draw a straight line about 4 feet long with a line perpendicular at one end, exactly 90 degress to the straight line.

Take the wheel out and set the frame on the flat surface, resting on the bottom bracket and following the line you drew.

Are both dropouts touching the surface with the bottom bracket sitting completely flat?

With the ends of the dropouts square to the perpendicular line, does the frame follow a straight line?

I think a chain stay adjustment is all it needs, but that's just a guess. These old Schwinn frames are steel, so corrections may be made that work well.

This might work:

Thanks for the input. I know it's bent, I guess I was just more or less asking the best way to fix it. At some point the rear triangle has "shifted"to the left. I just need to find out the best way to bend it back without breaking it or making it worse. I'll probably just take it to a local MC builder here in Sarasota who may be able to help me. But I appreciate everyones help and advise

That's a good idea. A shop may have all the tools and equipment needed to straighten it. I would have 2 x 4's, baling wire and a dozen clamps set up to try to fix it. With a big hammer.

Take the rear wheel with it so they can check the alignment.

I'm looking forward to seeing it built up.

Latest posts

Back