Can a 1-1/8" steer tube be machined down to 1"?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ratsters,

I'm eyeing this Nirve cruiser fork that although temporarly out of stock on its website, would be the look I'm after.

Karfer67 has the same frame as me, and mentioned that a 1 1/8 steer tube wouldn't fit his frame.

If I get this fork and it too doesn't quite fit, can you throw it into a lathe a machine it down? I don't know how it'd be with those 2 forks spinning all kinda ways.

Or perhaps someone knows another source for an OEM looking curved fork that'll accept 3" meats.

Here's the fork I'm looking for:

2014fork.jpg

Thx

Spin

I would be nervous about removing any material from the steerer tube of a fork. The tube wall is probably around 1/8", so if you were to remove 1/8" from the diameter you would cut the wall thickness in half :shock: Might be a recipe for the flying superman over the bars :lol:

".... would be nervous about removing any material from the steerer tube of a fork. The tube wall is probably around 1/8", so if you were to remove 1/8" from the diameter you would cut the wall thickness in half Might be a recipe for the flying...."

Oooh! Point well taken. Forget that idea.

Here's a 1" inch fork that's got the look I want, but the Seller isn't responding to emails on what the narrowest point is between the forks. I can't tell if the forks will accept a 3" tire.

Anyone know of this fork?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=012

I'm gonna take my frame and front tie to the LBS on Saturday to first find out what fork will fit. He has some Nirve cruisers that have a nice curved fork (like in my pic above), but they're out of stock on the Nirve website and they're also 1 1/8 which may not fit. Hopefully, he's got some forks laying around that we can check to see what'll fit.

Spin

I have a Higgins frame laying around like that. 1 1/8 steerer tube almost fits, was considering grinding down the inside of the head tube, doesn't need much to clear. There's a backing plate that appears to sleeve in the top and down tubes, plenty of metal there don't think it would compromise things too much grinding it down very slightly. It's the only thing on mine preventing it from working.

The other thing you could try is the problem solver head tube reducers to convert to a 1" steerer tube fork.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HS409Z28-Problem+Solvers+Headset+Reducer.aspx

I have a broom handle that's exactly 1 1/8 and slides in but binds a bit when you move it around. I guess that's what people mean when they say a 1- 1/8 doesn't quite fit.

Not having the OEM fork, I'm wondering what size it was that would've made it fit right.

If there is excess metal material on the support plate inside the head tube, would that be what's making contact with the 1-1/8 steer tube/broom handle? Wouldn't the ID of the bearing cups be the closest contact points to the steer tube?

Spin

it will hit once you install the headset and tighten everything down been there done that. i know from experience that the modern schwinn cruiser fork will clear a 26 by 3 i have done it. even better it is 1 inch so you just install the adapters to run a 1 unch headset and your good to go

Gaak. I'm facing the same thing with my bike: putting a Schwinn OCC Chopper fork, 1-1/8" steerer tube, into a 60's Schwinn 26" cruiser frame.
The fork will pass through the bearing cups, taunting me with the possibility that the right combination of cups/bearings/cones would make it all work.
I'm gonna hit a couple of local shops to see if I can assemble the parts needed, but Murphy's Law says "dream on".
If not, gonna slice off the 1-1/8" steerer tube and braze in a 1" from a donor fork. Icky, but if I gotta I gotta.
If I have to go that way I'll try to post pix.
On a side note, this seems like a product gap - its obvious to me that it's possible to make a head bearing set that would adapt 1-1/8" forks to 1" frames, I just can't find one, dangit.

Back