caliper brake on old frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas how to add a caliper brake to an old frame without welding? Maybe some kind of bolt on bracket?
2012-04-12_19-55-27_215.jpg

You want a rear brake because.......you dont have a coaster brake?
For the work it will take to put on a caliper, and the (to me) marginal performance of them, I would be looking at a canti or V brake set up and end up with real brakes. I really like the coasters though, and the clean look/no cables/no messing around you get with them.

I agree 100%. Have a set of mtn bike wheels that I was going to use. Figured it would be cheaper than having the rim relaced with the coaster brake I have. It's gonna be a straight rat rod bike.

My neighbor the professor wanted 6 speeds on the 64 Starlet I built for her, so I had to make up a bracket to mount a rear brake to. The frame already had holes drilled in it from a previous modification, mine was heavier to to take up the strain of the brakes. Otherwise I wouldn't have drilled holes in the stays, I would have used two plates bolted on either side of the stays.

2qnnxjr.jpg

I was thinking about the two plate idea myself but wasn't sure if it would move out of place when applying the brake.

The two plate would stay in place if one has a couple of stops welded on the underside (one to the top and one to the bottom of the crossbrace)to help hold it once bolted together.

Latest posts

Back