Cadillac for Him, Elgin for Her

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Bought these yesterday, wife not impressed.
First is a Cadillac badged Schwinn:
003.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

020.JPG

015.JPG

And the Elgin. Has Schwinn S-7 wheelset. I did get the drop stand along with the bad paint job.
001.JPG

Great looking new finds. The wheel sets are switched and on the wrong bikes. The finned hub set belongs on the Elgin and vice versa.
Thanks.
There are problems with both wheelsets. The wheelset on the Elgin doesn't belong on either bike. It is an S-7 set with a Bendix red band hub. Belonged on much later Schwinn.
If I understand correctly, Schwinn bikes around this year could have had an aircooled Musselman hub. The problem is that someone put a Morrow brake arm on it. Plus, I really don't know when Schwinn used drop center rims and when they switched to the S-2 rims.
I got a few extra parts with these bikes so I might be able to put together some better wheels for the Elgin. It will make a really cool rider for someone with a little work.
Did I mention that I like beer?

Nice finds! The Air-Cooled Musselman will have a date code stamped into it.
View attachment 45345

The Cadillac is a pre-WWII Schwinn bike, so S-2 rims wouldn't be a match. The 4265 looks like a registration # and not a serial # to me.
...and the frame on the saddle is downside-up ;)
Very cool, I have not seen this Musselman info before.
I aired up the tires and rode around the block, zero braking. I'll have to get the hub apart and will be able to date it now.
Thanks for the heads up on the saddle. I had not paid much attention to it other than thinking the post was really cool.

Back