Buyer advisory-bicycledesigner.com

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back the subject of this online retailer came up because another member here and myself each had bought two 68 spoke wheel sets, and all had bad hubs which squeaked and vibrated when braking. Mine was a 20" set I had forgotten about and a 26" set I was working on.

The owner, Gary, did try to make things right, and after about a month of emails he was to send some hub replacement parts and a video that was to explain how to fix the problem. I got the package today and the replacement parts were missing, and the video was worthless. It just showed some guy rebuilding a hub and not dealing with the squeaky brakes or vibration problem. I talked to him on the phone and his only defense was along the lines of "I packed it myself", which doesn't do me or the person I was giving the bike to a darn bit of good. It was a really disappointing experience.

I threw the rear wheel from the 20" wheel set on the back of a bike, and if it worked I would have been more than happy to switch out the hubs, even if it meant replacing two 68 spoke wheels and eating the cost of the bad set. The only problem was this hub was even worse, and under slight braking pressure, or at a mild speed, this thing sounded like a cow on steroids being shot out of a cannon at a Motely Crue concert-MOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!. The vibrations were so bad it shook the handlebars at the front of the bike.

Gary did try to help me out, because the wheels were well past their return time before I discovered the problem. I was incredibly sick when building the bike with the 26" wheels and I abandoned the build with the 20 inchers due to frame size and geometry. But for me it comes down to this: 4 people with 4 wheels with the exact same problem. It is only a suspicion, but I think he is knowingly selling bad wheels.

So do business with bicycledesigner.com if you want to, I think the site also has the lovelylowrider.com URL, but whatever you do, DO NOT buy the 68 spoke wheel sets or rear wheels.

I just had to wait almost a month for my stuff I ordered from them, and then they didn't even have everything in stock when they eventually shipped it out, so I had to wait for the rest. A few of the parts I bought are of obvious inferior quality, such as a stem that the wedge snapped off when tightening, and a 1-piece crank that apparently doesn't fit any chainwheel that I have. That was the only time I have ordered or will order from them.

i bought a lowrider bike years ago from them and the rear hub did the exact same thing. i complained but never recieved a response of any kind. recently i purchased 2 frames. i called two different times and talked to two different 'tech people' and bicycledesigner.com to ask and confirm that those frames used 1" steer tubes cuz i was buying the frames for specific forks that i already had. not only were the head tubes made for 1 1/8" steer tubes but they were painted black instead of the chrome that i ordered. i sent several emails and phone messages but never recieved any response. i had to spend 40 bucks on a set of reducers from danscomp which ended up being a different size than they were advertised so they were uselesst to me, then i spent 50 on a the right pair from a reputable lbs. ill never order anything from bicycledesigner.com again. i got a good deal on the frames price-wise, but considering the extra money to make the forks fit, the time and money on buying the wrong size ones, and not even getting the chrome i wanted i ended up just getting screwed.
fast eddie outty

yep those hubs are cheap junk on the 68 spoke wheels but just try and find a replacement ...I have bought quite a bit of parts from them
and had other issues with peeling chrome, wheels untrue and bearing that felt pitted from the start and issues trying to get replacements
cheap chinese junk...you get what you pay for I guess.

Life is full of less than expectations. If its cheap...its cheap. As I walk through a Harbor Freight Tool store. I think now how can that mess up. If I come up with an answer I dont buy it. Tiawan produced the same junk 20 years ago. When everybody stopped buying their products ,they got their quality up. China still has a ways to go. Cheap is cheap. If you buy a wheelset for $80 expect it wont be used in the ms150. :lol:

Back