Butler/Rapp's swap meet find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
got this 60's evans /Colson for a trade. It has a Bendix 2 speed hub w//shifter. Started cleaning it up, but ran out of steam. Im fighting a cold. Ill start a Build thread next week. Ony problem is its a middle weight, and I bought a set of tan tires for it, but in balloons..... Ill try 26 X 1.95s. Color is limited in that size, maybe go WW.
DSCI0795.jpg

DSCI0796.jpg

DSCI0797.jpg

DSCI0798.jpg

great find! i look at that bike. i think bendix stop making those 2 speeds in 1959? 1960 bendix came out with the 2 speed red band kick back.

the historian

yes. Its close, rubs lightly. But theres a dent in the fender, it may be hitting that. Ill straighten it be4 I give up hope. REAL close.....

Al,
Ahhhh Butler, my hometown..... :cry: Sad what's become of it (in places).

Anyway, not sure what you're looking by 'tan' tires, but the Fat Frank (26 x 2.35) on rear of my converted MTB is rubbing on the shifter cable. So, I did me a little interwebs search and found these.

I'm looking to pick up a set of these in brown, they are 26 x 2.0. At $22 to shipping, they look promising. As you can see, they come in black, brown, cream and gray. Hard to tell what they REALLY look like, since they posted a cartoon of them! :mrgreen: But, they could be a nice alternative for middleweights.

http://www.everybicycletire.com/Shopping/pc-12816-18-26-x-20-rubena-v99-cityhopper-options-559.aspx

cityhoppercolors.jpg

Good luck and Go Golden Tornadoes!

Cheers,
Dr. T

well, the balloons wouldnt fit. Fender clearance , not frame.This frame could take 4" wide tires!
Heres the original
DSCI0795.jpg

heres the finished product
DSCI0803_zps113bd6c5.jpg

left the original patina on the wheels
DSCI0804_zpsbcc1dad8.jpg

0000 steel wooled the complete frame, with polishing compound. Turned out pretty nice
DSCI0805_zpsf4a96edf.jpg

That middleweight/baloon clearance can sure be touchy... My 63 murray comet mid weight is rockin' some
white 2.25s and no matter what i do the rub can be heard on the chrome fenders, if ever so slightly. Sometimes
though..Looks are everything!

Floyd said:
Do those have a coaster brake?

Yes, but I would describe it as "weak", at best. If you look at the late 50's Schwinns that were equiped with the Bendix lever action 2-speed they almost invariably added a front hand brake. If I had one on a bike, I would too. Gary

* I just noticed the front hand brake on the above Evans. 8)

Back