"But it's for a good cause"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need some input about a bike purchase
We have a great charity event at work called the Full Cycle Event
People donate bikes and then kids fix them up so they get some social and work skills
Fullcyclesign.jpg

So my friend at work says, “How do you like the bike I picked out for your building?”
I had already seen it and started looking it over

It’s an Early 60s Schwinn Tornado Twin Straight bar in pretty good condition

60sTornado.jpg

White wheels, possibly original (but not weather cracked) Schwinn Eastwind tires
Messinger seat, Schwinn approved hub (not sure who made them), Fenders kinda rough

TornadoLicense.jpg

Messingerseat.jpg

Tornadotire.jpg

Price tag is at $200 (kinda steep) "but for a good cause"I’m actually trying to thin the herd a bit lately

I’m giving them one of my bikes (that I got for $20) already
This is the same bike that was the Little 500 chassis in the movie “Breaking Away”
Very good shape, new tires and tubes were on it, the coaster hub needs a rebuild
I’ll do that before I give it to them, most “bike shop” people around here don’t know how to do it
AllPro.jpg

All kinds of people give away bikes and buy bikes during the event, it like a carnival!
Usually the prices are kinda high in general

So I said to him, it’s a kinda high (seeing if bargaining might work) and he says “It’s for a good cause”
There might be a little wiggle room on price but probably not much.
Money situation is not super tight but not freely flowing either.
Usually don’t flip bikes so I’d probably end up fixing it up and giving it away (eventually)
The sale is next Wednesday 16May.
Should I buy it?
Steve

Back