Burrito time!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently building a burrito to futz around with when I go on paved path rides with my friends. It has a 78" wheelbase and is 8' 9" long overall.

Started out as a ladies 12 speed Spalding...

Spalding12speed1.jpg

A few cuts with the right angle grinder, a little tubing, some welding and I've got this...

burrito_783.jpg

Some more welding and grinding, test fit of the cranks, plus new handlebars which I lengthened by brazing on pieces of another handlebar...

burrito784.jpg

And my 3 speed "transmission"... an SA 3 speed hub with a cog welded to the drive side spoke flange which I will mount behind the seat tube...

3speedSA.jpg

I'll post more as the project continues. :wink:

Re: Burrito time

I want to run a chain from the cranks to the 3 speed hub, and then from the hub's shell (where the cog is welded) to the rear wheel...three speeds the hard way...but it should look cool. 8)

Good work mate, I particularly like the "transmission" thing, just wondering.. how tall are you bro, as in does it feel "natural"? I only ask because I'm in the throes of burrito-mania myself and I'm just after some ideas... :wink:

I'm 5' 11" and as far as fit goes, the relation between the seat and handlebars is fine. The crank position is a little odd since I am used to my mountain bikes and having proper leg extension, cleat position, etc etc...

At the end of the day it will be a fun bike to cruise around on the paved paths when the trails are way too wet to ride my mountain bikes on.

Update 10.30.09:

1/3 of the way through welding the bottom bracket in place I ran out of wire so instead of packing everything away, going out for welding wire, etc etc...I worked on some other items that needed attention.

The rear triangle needed some final squaring so I took care of that, brazed the joints at the tops of the dropouts, and removed all of the cable guides and stops from the frame. Not one to set a project aside so quickly since it was now a "rolling frame"...I decided to wheel the bike up the street and "ride" it down the hill. Foot brakes aside, the bike rode quite well...it tracked straight and is nice and smooth due to the inherent flex in the frame. Today's test "ride" is a success in my mind.

And now some new photos:

burrito784-1.jpg

burrito785.jpg

Kickstands?..we don't need no stinking kickstands!!!

very nice! you didnt happen to get your idea from my burrito, now didja? :D
DSCN6447.jpg

I've studied both you fellas' designs and after scrounging for parts the best in terms of ergonomic possibility, etc, and most common to find, are the generic racer frames with large wheels. After countless drawings of my own, I've found that the easiest way to do this is, as you've both done (sort of), is retain the existing gooseneck and cross-members, figure out how long you want it, and weld tube in between. Hats off to both you blokes for getting all burritoey, it's given me tonnes of good ideas :D

Did a little more work today...

The "transmission" is in. :D I just need to scrounge up some more chain to complete the driveline.

burrito786.jpg

burrito_trans.jpg

very nice! i like the 3 speed hub as the jackshaft. (thats what the mechanism is called what it changes the chains placement.) :wink: and did you really get ideas from mine?

Yes, I looked carefully at your burrito and a number of others for ideas of what I wanted mine to come out like. If I'm not mistaken, you are the only one to mention wheelbase dimensions (72") which is what I used for a starting point but felt I needed a 78" wheelbase for mine. :lol:

cool! now that i think about, i dont remember mentioning the wheelbase on this one, but its only 66 1/2".so yours its quite a bit longer than mine, if your measuring from axle to axle.

oh well. :lol: your burrito is longer.

The burrito is up and running with a completed drivetrain and rear brake. :D And speaking of the brake, the cable is run inside the frame. 8)

I'll disassemble the bike and give it a quick shot of olive drab paint for the military look sometime next week.

Burrito787.jpg

Sorry for the crummy photo of the grenade valve caps (which I will also paint OD)

grenade_cap.jpg

your build is awesome
im totally into the three the hard way trans
how long is it from wheel end to wheel end?

i like burritos

Back