Burning Down the House!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got busy wasting time last week and got the flame thrower pretty well perfected. A friction shifter controls the gas and a BBQ electronic ignition with handlebar mounted sw starts the spark.
dscf1825.jpg

By xc204, shot with FinePix S5000 at 2009-09-11
The pipe is 1/2" EMT conduit with a TIg cup on the end for High voltage and heat insulation. Its wrapped with hi-temp fiberglass tape for looks. A piece of ss tig rod is one electrode the bbq electrode the other.
dscf1827m.jpg

There is a butane cylinder in the Murray's tank it snaps into the modifyed battery holder. A small hose coupling 1/8" fits over the butane nozzle a small bar pushes the hose and hose barb in to release the gas. its connected to the shifter cable.
dscf1826j.jpg

The ign mod is under the seat I may be setting (no pun) myself up for a jolt to the nether regions..I still have some dressing up with the wires and hoses And I think I want to flip the bars over.I will post up the inside works when I load up a new butane tank. Oh by the way at nite it iluminates both sides of the street quite well . I had help from the "Greaser "thread Thanks

That's pretty hot XC! :wink:

Most of the parts are out of my junk stash. Friction shifter + cable, old bike computer mount for the switch mount. conduit I had laying around bought BBQ ign at menards $19, butane tanks 2.75oz $3 some small hose I had and misc. nuts and bolts. I have to change out the gas today I will take pictures of the assembly when I do and post them.

Finally took a few photos of the gas setup in the tank and the cable / valve hookup.
dscf1832.jpg

By xc204 at 2009-09-30
Butane canister in the battery holder.
dscf1838l.jpg

By xc204 at 2009-09-30
The cable operated "valve" The cable slips into the slot on the end of the valve bar a piece of 1/2" x about 2" by 1/16" steel strap. The loose screw (not me) with the nylock nut slips into a slot on an extension of the battery holder it is the pivot for the bar. the other end of the bar has a slot and kickup to hold the cable. in the center of the bar is a small vacuum hose coupling that is captured by the short piece of bar with the screw. the coupling is a snug fit on the butane noz. The spring helps the spring loaded nozzle return.The front of the cable stop is held at the tank bracket on the frame.

"Got busy wasting time last week and got the flame thrower pretty well perfected"

now THAT'S how a thread should start!

I gotta say "UNCLE" on that. Now that is a flame I maybe got 4' when riding that is crazy-nuts-cool!

XC204 said:
Got busy wasting time last week and got the flame thrower pretty well perfected. A friction shifter controls the gas and a BBQ electronic ignition with handlebar mounted sw starts the spark.
dscf1825.jpg

The pipe is 1/2" EMT conduit with a TIg cup on the end for High voltage and heat insulation. Its wrapped with hi-temp fiberglass tape for looks. A piece of ss tig rod is one electrode the bbq electrode the other.
dscf1827m.jpg

There is a butane cylinder in the Murray's tank it snaps into the modifyed battery holder. A small hose coupling 1/8" fits over the butane nozzle a small bar pushes the hose and hose barb in to release the gas. its connected to the shifter cable.
dscf1826j.jpg

The ign mod is under the seat I may be setting (no pun) myself up for a jolt to the nether regions..I still have some dressing up with the wires and hoses And I think I want to flip the bars over.I will post up the inside works when I load up a new butane tank. Oh by the way at nite it iluminates both sides of the street quite well . I had help from the "Greaser "thread Thanks
that looks safe :roll:

Made another version of the Flame Thrower using a larger 8oz butane canister.
dscf1877.jpg

By xc204, shot with FinePix S5000 at 2009-12-22
Valve is a surplus freon pc board cleaning valve it has the same thread-seal setup as the butane can.No ignition on this one just set the valve to slightly on by pushing up the allen head screw on the black lever then light it up.Keep a low pilot then manually throttle it up for a larger flame. Let go and it drops back to the pilot setting.
dscf1879.jpg

dscf1880u.jpg

Modifyed h20 bottle holder for butane can. This one is going west to a really nice Denver Cruiser and Cobra member Seth W. Merry Christmas Big Guy!

Back