Build a prewar fender brace

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I picked up an old prewar rollfast with original fenders, but one of the braces was snapped in half. I was asking around if anyone had an extra and Walker gave me an idea. His idea was to simply buy some steel stock and build one. So last night I went to Lowes and picked up some 1/2 inch welders steel and some rivots. I molded the steel by bending it around a spray paint can. Then I drilled out the tricky end pieces of the broken fender brace and they popped right off. After shaping the steel, I drilled the holes for mounting to the fender, then drilled the holes for the end pieces. This is what it looked like when I was done.

brace1.jpg

brace2.jpg

brace3.jpg

brace4.jpg

brace5.jpg

brace6.jpg

brace7.jpg

brace8.jpg

brace9.jpg

this is great! i love the beefier industrial look to it. i have been tossing around some ideas for fender stays for my flightliner as well as some for a basket on my wifes bike. i thought about using a few feet of 1/2" copper pipe and hammering the ends flat then drilling holes in the ends for the brackets

Back