Brushed to Death

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this frame a little while ago from Simpleman. It's a Hawthorne 5 bar frame and I believe it is around 1937, but could be wrong. It should be a fairly simple build using parts that haven't made it to other builds. I have a set of creme thick bricks, a long spring saddle, a shock ease fork, and a few other bits and pieces.

DSC07843.jpg

I've always thought it kind of cool when you see the bikes that some kid tried to fix up and repaint with house paint. I've had the idea to paint a frame with a brush for a while, but I won't be using house paint. I'm hoping I can get it finished in time for the deadline and just have some fun.

About a month ago I figured I had better test my idea for painting it. I grabbed my helmet one night and gave it a go. I think it will work pretty good on a frame and give it a different look. I don't know that I will use the same colors, style, or technique on the frame that I used on the helmet, but it proved that it will work just fine. It doesn't really show up great in a photo but the paint is really deep in person.

DSC07808.jpg

DSC07807.jpg

DSC07804.jpg

Wow, that's got to be one of the coolest frames I've ever seen!! I'll be watching this one!

Kram... always interested to see what you do... ever since Stripped And Teased ... be watching this one closely.... 8)

I'll be following this build till the end. I think all of your bikes were perfect, and just know this one will be exactly that.
Funny: I have had a hard time finding the right shade of rattlecan paint for my build. A few days ago I came across a nice greyish blue but it came in a ordinary can. Not a spraycan... Since then I've been tossing around the idea of painting the build with a brush... It would broaden the choice of color to infinity...

Good luck with your build and may it come out as nice as the Stripped'n'teased.
Have fun my friend.

That frame is wild!
And kram, I always like your bikes - so I'll be tuning in to this one! 8)

I've just noticed the Model A shell...
:shock: 8)
Yours? ...and it looks to be a righthand drive??? (because of the steering-hole in the firewall)
Yesterday evening I visited a guy who had a 26 T waiting for him in the backyard. In his garage he had a hopped up fourbanger flathead Model A, a hotrodded corvette powered original Excalibur (flat black + Steelies), a custom/hotrod Peugeot, and a custom AstroVan. In another shed he had a '46 Ford waiting for him. Plus he has some more... I know for shure he has stashed another Model A, pick-up somewhere...

Someone will be cursing that house paint in 50 years from now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sounds like a good plan on a cool frame. Dumpster Diver did the house paint on a Buildoff Bike and I thought it looked pretty cool. I can't wait to see yours.

i thought we outlawed the 5 bar frame 3 yrs ago! :lol: you definitly get to rat out the rarest frame this year! 8) its great to see you back in the buildoff.

Hey guys thanks for all the compliments! It's good to be doing the build off this year, and it looks like there are going to be some awesome finished bikes.

herr_rudolf- Yeah the model a is mine, I just picked it up a couple weeks ago. That guy has a pretty impressive collection especially for being out of the US.

I was doing a bit of mocking up and figured I would snap a couple pictures. Those handle bars and stem won't be on the bike but they got kind of stuck in there. After I took the pictures I was able to pry them out (stupid rusty parts :lol: ). I did notice one thing is that these frames seem to be a bit bigger than your typical sized frame. Definitely doesn't feel as cramped as say a 26" Schwinn frame.

DSC07853.jpg

DSC07850.jpg

Love those forks.... got one right now trying to get unstuck from a half rotted frame... wait... just noticed... thats not one o them internal sprung forks is it....

The bike looks mighty fine on those Bricks.. 24s? I've been wondering if they come in 26" sizes too...

btw: Indeed it is an impressive collection of cars the guy has... But more impressive is the fact that he built em all himself and started out with original cars. He told a story about another Dutch guy who has approx. 50-75 old Fords... From the 1920's-1940's. I really want to make a visit to thát guy... (no hotrods, but all cars are in pristine original/restored condition...)

Back