Brooks saddle. Is this restorable?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
66464F19-60A4-41CA-A84D-8BE773911195-46265-00000C22CF095ACB.jpg

There is some cracking on the rivets and its dry.
If i slap some proofide on it will i be good to go? I've researched it and everyone has their own opinion. Do I need to reshape it? It's used so its conformed to another persons hind quarters.
Brooks saddles look so cool, and I hear they are comfortable once the get broken in. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I just hope it's safe to ride.

Old it and ride it!!!!!

Just don't use any kind of petroleum product on it. It will only cause it to slowly disintigrate. Gary

I bought an old b33 in way worse shape than that and got back to ridable condition with a half a bottle of leather conditioner. Took a week of appling it couple times a day, hut looks ok now. Wish i wudda took before and after pics tho.

Thxcuz said:
66464F19-60A4-41CA-A84D-8BE773911195-46265-00000C22CF095ACB.jpg

There is some cracking on the rivets and its dry.
If i slap some proofide on it will i be good to go? I've researched it and everyone has their own opinion. Do I need to reshape it? It's used so its conformed to another persons hind quarters.
Brooks saddles look so cool, and I hear they are comfortable once the get broken in. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I just hope it's safe to ride.

Dude, just use Brooks Proofide, I used it on saddles that were in worse condition than yours with GREAT results. The Brooks site states the following: "Proofide keeps the leather supple as it is specially formulated from natural ingredients to condition, preserve and water proof saddles. A new saddle should be treated with Brooks Proofide leather dressing to help assist the 'breaking-in" process." what they fail to state is the great job it does in restoring old leather saddles! All you have to do is use your finger to rub proofide all over (and under) the saddle, use a nice amount, then use a blow dryer set on hot to melt the stuff into the leather, let it sit over night then rub whats left on the saddle off with a clean cotton cloth, thats it. The leather will get darker and softer, not like "I ruined my Brooks saddle" softer, but "my .... doesn't hurt when I ride it" softer. Give it a try. :D

I have had leather saddles for over 30yrs. I use Neatsfoot Oil, the PURE stuff, not the 'compound', available at most farm supply stores, and, of course, tack shops.
If the saddle needs any reshaping you best to it before you oil. Figure out what you need to do and have prefit forms or string wrap at hand, then wet the leather and form it to shape and set to dry (slowly; it can take several days). Often the skirts are the most mis-shapen and as the leather shrank they flare out so you want to draw them in.
Repeat if needed.
When in shape and dry set it in the sun to warm and then apply the Neatsfoot oil generously top and underside (if you use a hair dryer use the LOW setting, if it is too hot to hold your hand in front of it is too hot for leather; leather, after all, is.....) NEVER use an oven, even on low!!! Baked saddle is not good :shock:
Work a few square inches at a time, returning to those areas that soak it in fast.
First 2 or 3 days to it morning and eve.
Next 2 or 3 days do it once a day.
Next 2 or 3 weeks once a week, or until you can see/feel the leather has become supple. You do not want it to be soaked, but have oil in the leather fibres. You know what good, healthy leather look and feels like, we all have some around. I like to buff in a mostly beeswax top coat for a final (beware wearing light colored pants until youve 'butt-polished' it out good).
The big problem with a 'hamock' style saddle, such as Brooks, is that all the rider weight is really suspended between the nose piece and rear support. Dry rot can make the leather too weak, even if oiled. If it is 'crumbly' it is done. After oiling, if the leather at the nose and the rivets seems to be giving way, it is a gonner but for display purposes. No sense in totally wrecking it if you see it is starting to go.
BTW, The steel pan saddles are a different story, the pan is supporting your weight so the leather can be in too bad a condition to be a hamock style, yet last pretty well.

Now then, I am 215 lbs (but losing weight due to my cycling obsession) will this saddle be able to support me?

Back