British Raleigh 'Superbe Roadster'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1950's Raleigh 'Superbe Roadster Model' frame (Notice the removable bolt on rear seat stays). Their super deluxe version Sported roller lever rod operated brakes and a dynohub lighting system. These bikes were designed to cope with cobblestones and unpaved footpaths. Often seen ridden by the local village policeman at that time. (So says Sheldon Brown)

Now rebuilt into a unique fixie.
Stripped of paint and allowed to rust slightly in a mixture of chemicals before sealing under a clear satin finish.
Front forks have been shortened to suit modern 700c wheels and skinny tyres. Rear chain stays also shortened and seat stay upper mounts relocated lower down the seat tube.
Cord wrapped French drop bars reverse mounted, a classic antique Brooks saddle modified with central cutout and punched leather pattern.

DSC_0049 by Clannagh, on Flickr

superbe54-big by Clannagh, on Flickr

DSC_0100 by Clannagh, on Flickr

DSC_0196 by Clannagh, on Flickr

DSC_0051 by Clannagh, on Flickr

DSC_0066 by Clannagh, on Flickr

DSC_0017 by Clannagh, on Flickr

DSC_0289 by Clannagh, on Flickr

DSC_0347 by Clannagh, on Flickr

DSC_0346 by Clannagh, on Flickr

DSC_0203 by Clannagh, on Flickr

Album Link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94740449@N08/sets/72157649489609490/

That is a sweet work of art right there!

Thanks Guys
Its always a scary moment posting something up for the World to see, never know what the reaction will be:)

The original bike belonged to an old guy from new, he had ridden it to work for over 50 years. On his retirement it went into his garage. sadly he died a while back and the bike fell into my hands, its become a great commuter again:)

Did you take the frame apart to shorten the rear.

It looks factory

I know my dad did not ride one (original bike) (per sheldon brown), he was Port of London Police.

Did you take the frame apart to shorten the rear.

It looks factory

I know my dad did not ride one (original bike) (per sheldon brown), he was Port of London Police.
Hi
Yes lots of work, I shortened the chain stays to pull the rear wheel in closer to seat tube, then shortened the seat stays and relocated them with a homemade lug further down the seat tube, notice how narrow the rear brake bridge is now. Front forks are also shortened an 1" or so, removed drop outs cut forks and welded them back on.
Well done for spotting the mods;-)

Hi Lucas
I've just sold this bike last week, someone made me an offer so I let it go... Guess I will have to build another now:) wheels are Weinmann DP18 with the stickers removed

The wheels look absolutely gorgeous in the first pic. They are deep vee Wienmans, have they been treated like the frame? Maybe just an effect of the shadows? (Is the dress blue?)

~Lucas
You down with OPC?

The wheels look absolutely gorgeous in the first pic. They are deep vee Wienmans, have they been treated like the frame? Maybe just an effect of the shadows? (Is the dress blue?)

~Lucas
You down with OPC?
Hi Lucas
I think it's a trick of the light and those rims reflecting all the surrounding colours, looks nice though. Wonder if it would go viral if I stick on Facebook :)

Back