britain - togglechaintour

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's a little report. next year, the new forest

assembled for the first time on saturday morning

newbigginandTCT054.jpg

4 miles later, time for a rest and a regroup

newbigginandTCT055.jpg

AMC and mr.AMC with the giant puffballs - enough to feed us all later.
but only thanks to the heroic efforts of the lovely lady and her giant wickerwork collection in lugging them round all day

newbigginandTCT056.jpg

5 miles of tootling later, and the first and only visit of the fairy means getting the kettle, teapot, loose tea & tea strainer out for a brew, on perhaps the shiniest parrafin stove in the east riding

newbigginandTCT057.jpg

a mile and half later, it's time for lunch and a pint

newbigginandTCT058.jpg

another two and a half miles, and it's time for a rest, although we did stop for a cuppa in the meantime in a centre for pilgrims.

newbigginandTCT059.jpg

1745hours and we're in the village of nelson's birth. outside the lord nelson. there's only going to be one outcome

newbigginandTCT060.jpg

slices of puffball, panfried in olive oil and rustic chopped garlic, on farmshop bread chunks. it's not easy slicing either with a swiss army knife

newbigginandTCT067.jpg

newbigginandTCT064.jpg

our tired looking organiser with an extremely geeky gift of SA hubshell S&P grinders

newbigginandTCT065.jpg

AMC with nurses uniform and enough basket space for all our foraging

newbigginandTCT068.jpg

sunday morning, vintage clothes day and some more hanging around chatting

newbigginandTCT070.jpg

chaincleaning tim's restored triumph and an unrestored one for comparison

newbigginandTCT072.jpg

the long driveway at holkham hall.

newbigginandTCT083.jpg

at our destination for sunday morning cakes

newbigginandTCT087.jpg

at the off-licence, selecting supplies and of course, relaxing

newbigginandTCT090.jpg

struggling to stay awake on late sunday afternoon in the grounds of holkham hall with a brew

newbigginandTCT092.jpg

Wow, that's an amazing place to ride! I envy your flat roads and beautiful countryside. I won't even mention those great bikes. Looks like a great time.
I love British bikes and currently own a few Raleighs, a couple Hercules' and a custom Popular set up with Humber twin tube forks and chain ring. I recently started collecting Sturmey Archer memorabilia and was wondering where you found those pepper grinders?

One of my Herc's:
P1011570-1.jpg

My popular I named 'Sir Loin of Beef':
P1011892.jpg

P1011920.jpg

What a fantastic ride you all had!! cheers!! great photos and tale. Thank you for sharing!

hubgearfreak said:
lovely bikes there :D

ej599 said:
was wondering where you found those pepper grinders?

made not bought :wink: -
empty a shell, drift out LHS end, find grinders too big and machine down to fit on a lathe -
a friend of mine is an excellent turner 8)

ej is an excellent "turner" as well. I expect to see a set of those come out of his laboratory any time now. 8)

Ahhh,so badly i wish i could have been on that ride..Tea on the road..real Ale..The White Horse inn..Tell us more about the puffballs.. 8)

a description of puffballs on wiki is better than i could write. only to say that they're delicious and well worth searching out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_puffball

as for wishing to be on the ride, next year we'll be fairly near dover and the london airports, so hop on a ferry or plane and join us. :D

when they're done, let's see the pics of your S&P grinders EJ :D

Back